1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Final word on PL25 + E-M5 rattlesnake noise?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dramaturg, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    I've read all the threads on the issue at this forum as well as on dpreview. From what I see the problem can be solved on Pens' and E-M1 bodies by turning off the flicker reduction. However it looks like there hasn't been any solution for E-M5 (at least as for the end of December 2013). Right now I am torn between PL25 and O25, but I know the rattlesnake noise will drive me crazy (from what I saw on youtube). I really want PL25 but if there hasn't been any working solution for this problem I'd have to stick with O25. Does anyone know what is the latest word on the issue?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Latest word is, it still happens on the E-M5. But to be honest, I've had it happen maybe twice in 6 months of ownership, and that's averaging one shooting session per week. It doesn't seem to happen for video, only stills mode, and only when you have very complex lighting with very dark and very bright in the same area. A quick power cycle will clear it if it does come up, and since I'm not a professional, this is absolutely fine by me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dramaturg

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    That would probably be fine with me either. Would you say that in this video E-M5 is exposed to the very complex lighting though? -

[video=youtube;QnVuYfVYUsU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnVuYfVYUsU[/video]

Also does you copy make the same rattle noise?

4. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Well I used this lens on my EM5 for the last 12 months almost exclusively and I've never heard it once although prior to that it was very obvious on my E-P2.
    M

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mine makes that exact noise when it does it. What the video doesn't show is how they got the rattle snaking to start. The person will have purposely induced it for the purposes of the video, by pointing from bright outside to dark car interior rapidly. Like I said earlier, once it starts it seems to stay in this weird 'mode' where it can't decide what setting to have the aperture blades at (thus flipping back and forth) until you power cycle it. It's then fine again until you somehow manage to re-trigger the condition.

• Like Like x 2
  6. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    There's a setting in the menu that one can switch off that reportedly greatly reduces the incidence of the rattlesnake sound. Think it has something to do with flicker reduction. I noticed it on my EM1 before I changed that setting but never after.

And FWIW, the PL25 is one of my most often used lenses.

7. It happens with my E-M5/PL25 indoors under artificial (fluorescent) light only.

8. Dramaturg

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    From what I read only Pen bodies and E-M1 has this option and it does help indeed. But I couldn't find it on E-M5. Perhaps it has another name (something like gradation?) or Olympus somehow addressed it with the recent firmware updates, that's why I started this thread.

9. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    I had the PL25mm at one point and sadly I too had the rattlesnake problem with it. For a lens costing almost $600 after taxes this is pretty unacceptable by my standards.

10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    You have to really try to make it happen on an E-M5... it is a rare occurrence. With something like an E-P3, it happens often.

11. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    Turning off continous auto focus also helps.

12. Dramaturg

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    I remember that the last summer I had a few instances when my 45mm 1.8 would start rattlesnaking. It was rather quite but the biggest trouble was that it took some time to take a shot after I'd press a shutter button (like half a second longer or so). It was like the lens had to release the aperture and then to close it again. A mere "turn off/turn on" would fix the thing. Since then I played with setting in E-M5 (like turning off the "gradation", changing autofocus settings, etc) and have never had the issue back again (like for 8 months). Perhaps the same goes true for the PL25. I guess there are some settings that affect this "rattlesnaking".

Could you please share your experience with O17mm and P25mm? Do you find the two to be very different lenses (or the difference is not that great?)? Which one do you like more?

13. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I used to own the P/L 25mm f1.4 and once I changed the Flicker Reduction on my E-M5 the rattlesnake sound disappeared for me. I don't know why my setting change worked and your didn't? Maybe some other setting was different on my E-M5? Anyway I'm using the 12-40 zoom 99% of the time now and sold the dust collecting lenses in this range because they were just sitting on a shelf. YMMV.

14. Dramaturg

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    Are you sure that was E-M5? I can't find any "flicker reduction" in the menus.

15. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Really? I felt that way after seeing some of the videos a long time ago and I put off buying the lens for months. Finally I tried one on my E-P3 in a shop, back before there was an E-M5, and sure enough it made a noise but it was nowhere near as bad as the video led me to believe it was. You can control the sound level on videos and make it louder or softer during editing, and people run their volume setting at different levels as well, plus the distance of the mic from the camera has an impact. You really don't get an idea of either the level of the sound, or of how often it occurs or how long it lasts in practice, from any video I've seen.

And it occurs less often and for shorter periods on my E-M5 than it does on my E-P3.

I put off buying the lens for months because of what I saw/heard on videos, then I bought one and have used if for a couple of years and rarely been annoyed by what I've experienced in real life.

I do think how bad the problem is depends a little on your camera and the specific lens, I do get the feeling there is some variation due to camera and lens, and I do think that some people are more annoyed by it than others, but the impression I got originally from watching the videos I saw and the impression I got when I actually tried the lens I bought on my camera were 2 different things. You really don't know anything about how bad it is until you try it. The videos don't give you an accurate impression in any way whatsoever.

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Same experience here.

17. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    You are right, there is no Flicker Reduction setting on the E-M5. I'm wondering if this option might have been eliminated in a Firmware Update. It's that or perhaps you might try setting the Frame Rate to Normal in custom menu J. Or maybe I'm just loosing my mind!

• Like Like x 1
  18. gswpete

gswpete Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2011
    It rarely happens on my E-M5 and PL25.

19. ihateggb

ihateggb Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    New Zealand
    Rarely happens on my EM5 with PL25 which is attached most of the time. Seems to happen more often with the O45 actually.

20. graben

graben Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2013
    Chicago, Illinois
    I have heard it three times in 9 months and I use my e-m5 and pl25 almost every week.