Filters?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Starred, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    I currently have an E-PL1 with 3 different lenses (Pana 20mm/1.7, Oly 14-150mm, and Oly 9-18mm),and made a lot of pictures recently. I noticed that a lensfilter is required because it's annoying to put the black cap back on top all the time.
    I wonder what kind of filters are recommended? Can I apply the same type to all 3 lenses?

2. VisualFX

VisualFX Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2010
    A lens filter is not used as a protective cap. If you use a filter, you put the lens cap on the filter to protect the filter. I think what you are looking for is something like this fast cap. You can flip it open and closed.
    OP/TECH USA FILTER CAP 58mm 0701581 - B&H Photo Video

• Like Like x 1
  3. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  4. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    The above mentioned thread has lots of previously discussed things about filters so it's a nice read albeit a little long.

I use a lens filter as a protective cap. From what I recall reading on that thread, I think there's quite a few other people doing the same too.

I see no real drawback in using it as a protective cap, they are quite durable, scratch resistant, and easy to clean so I can just wipe the lens filter with what ever and not really worry about it. On the off chance the lens filter eventually gets scratched.... it's about $15 to $20 to replace (at least for the ones I use, HOYA HMC clear or UV(0) filters).

Come to think of it... I don't even know where my original olympus plastic cap is anymore... I'm sure it'll pop up some where.

5. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    This is exactly what I am looking for. Is there some kind of glass or plastic in it (when opened) that protects the glass of the lens, or not at all and do you still need a filter to really protect your lensglass?

6. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA

The B&W MRC UV filters are very good. A little pricey though. It was $38 for my E-PL1 kit lens.

What do you find annoying about putting a lens cap on a lens? When I'm out shooting I put the cap in my pocket then put it back on the lens when I'm done.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kiynook

kiynook Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    My friends are recommending the use of lens hood to protect...so I started using them...by the way my Lumix 14-140mm and Zuiko 14-54mm also came with its original hoods...

8. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    i also just use a UV filter to protect my lenses - the caps are sitting in a pile in the cupboard somewhere. i got sick of putting the cap on / taking it off / putting it on again when on holiday... when an opportunity presents itself you have to act fast!! :)