Filters?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Starred, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    I currently have an E-PL1 with 3 different lenses (Pana 20mm/1.7, Oly 14-150mm, and Oly 9-18mm),and made a lot of pictures recently. I noticed that a lensfilter is required because it's annoying to put the black cap back on top all the time.
    I wonder what kind of filters are recommended? Can I apply the same type to all 3 lenses?

2. VisualFX

VisualFX Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2010
    A lens filter is not used as a protective cap. If you use a filter, you put the lens cap on the filter to protect the filter. I think what you are looking for is something like this fast cap. You can flip it open and closed.
    OP/TECH USA FILTER CAP 58mm 0701581 - B&H Photo Video

• Like Like x 1
  3. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  4. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    The above mentioned thread has lots of previously discussed things about filters so it's a nice read albeit a little long.

I use a lens filter as a protective cap. From what I recall reading on that thread, I think there's quite a few other people doing the same too.

I see no real drawback in using it as a protective cap, they are quite durable, scratch resistant, and easy to clean so I can just wipe the lens filter with what ever and not really worry about it. On the off chance the lens filter eventually gets scratched.... it's about $15 to $20 to replace (at least for the ones I use, HOYA HMC clear or UV(0) filters).

Come to think of it... I don't even know where my original olympus plastic cap is anymore... I'm sure it'll pop up some where.

5. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    This is exactly what I am looking for. Is there some kind of glass or plastic in it (when opened) that protects the glass of the lens, or not at all and do you still need a filter to really protect your lensglass?

6. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA

The B&W MRC UV filters are very good. A little pricey though. It was $38 for my E-PL1 kit lens.

What do you find annoying about putting a lens cap on a lens? When I'm out shooting I put the cap in my pocket then put it back on the lens when I'm done.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kiynook

kiynook Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    My friends are recommending the use of lens hood to protect...so I started using them...by the way my Lumix 14-140mm and Zuiko 14-54mm also came with its original hoods...

8. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    i also just use a UV filter to protect my lenses - the caps are sitting in a pile in the cupboard somewhere. i got sick of putting the cap on / taking it off / putting it on again when on holiday... when an opportunity presents itself you have to act fast!! :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.