1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Filters....

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Adobres, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Adobres

Adobres Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    Hi there, i know nothing about flters,, what do you suggest are handy filters to have around?

thanks!

adam

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    With respect to UV filters, there are two schools of thought: one that says that it is good protection for the lens, and another that says it's a waste to put a $15-$60 piece of glass in front of your hundreds (or thousands) of dollar lens and camera setup. It's a neverending debate, and both sides have good points. Search here and using google, and you'll get more information than you'd ever want.

As for photographic effects, the only necessary filters for digital are neutral density filters, graduated neutral density filters, and polarizing filters. Some creative google searching will teach you about how and when to use them. Color-shifting filters, warming filters, etc. aren't necessary because you can just change the white balance, or adjust saturation in post-processing.

3. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I don't know where you live but all places that I have ever been are quite dusty. So I put on my UV filter (this is my choices : hoya/b+w/kenko) any time. I say this because I have a few friends that live in Western countries now, they say that their place has less dust and the weather is less damp than here in Asia. If i'm at that place, I won't need any UV filters.

Cleaning a filter is more....likely for me. Cleaning a lens front element...wow..I rarely touch it. It's okay! Someone in this forum has shared videos showed somone bashing the front element to something hard. It survives and doesn't have effect on the image.

and when you put UV filter, it definitely produces flares if you shoot something bright (lamps or sun). Even if it is the expensive one, it only decreases the effect, not removes it. I can live with filter flare. So the decision is in your hand. UV filter is not a requirement.

CPL+ND filter are also handy.

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    If you like shallow DoF or shooting video, ND filters are the most important

5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    uv filters can serve as protection from accidental drops, etc... i try to put one in every lens.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    No "right" answer here as this has been debated since the dawn of time...:biggrin:

My own personal rule of thumb is that I only use a filter when I want to create an effect.

Your mileage may vary :smile:

7. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    My mileage and practice has not varied regarding the use of UV filters. I buy one at the time that I buy a new lens and immediately attach it.

I would rather have the $50-filter absorb the brunt of an impact or the spray of moisture, dust, or various and sundry deleterious elements vice the pricy lens itself.

I typically carry ND4 and ND8.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  9. meachp

meachp Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Norton-on-Tees, UK
    As I've done on other forums I frequent I thought I'd add these thoughts from a British award winning (his words) wedding photographer:

"A word on Skylight UV filters

I often hear people say ‘put a skylight (clear) filter on the lens
    to protect it’. Well have you ever noticed all those beautiful
    colours that swirl about on the lens’ surface when viewed
    from an angle? Those rare earth coatings and the precision
    with which the lens was ground make it as optically perfect as
    possible. And when you buy a big name manufacturer’s lens,
    that’s a large part of what you just forked out £350 or more
    for. Seems daft to me to spend all that money then go and
    plonk a bit of glass in front of it!

But also – what are you protecting it from exactly? Being raked
    by tigers perhaps, or maybe you’re the kind of person to acciden-
    tally leave it on the workshop bench whilst welding something?
    Yeah I know I’m being sarcastic but honestly, protect it from
    what? If you drop the thing onto the pavement then there’s not
    much chance it’ll survive annihilation no matter how many protec-
    tive filters you have, you’ll just have to go and get another one.

Quality lenses are surprisingly robust bits of kit and won’t scratch
    easily if you use a bit of common sense ie if you’ve got sand on it
    blow it off before rubbing it with a cloth. Just use a bit of care and
    it’ll be completely safe.

And anyway – you’ve got a lens hood on all your lenses right?
    Trust me, I’m the clumsiest most trip-over it sort of person you’ll
    ever meet, and in 20 years I’ve never scratched a lens.

However, the day after writing this very paragraph, I was photographing a wedding and had a
    camera fall lens first from a tripod onto a gravel car park, and guess what? Not a scratch on
    the glass because the lens hood protected it. The focus ring was trashed, but because it’s a
    good quality N***n lens it’s completely repairable."

I'm firmly in the no filter camp myself - except for a specific effect. And in over 30 years of photography I've never had a scratched lens

• Like Like x 1
  10. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    The great thing about filters is that they can be removed when they affect the image quality.:smile:

And while none of the lenses that I have ever owned or used ever sustained damage on their glass elements likely because they have had a filter attached to them, a scratch is not as easily removed as the filter.:cool:

11. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    How many filters have you scratched?

12. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    we are human beings. Feeling is an important part from ourselves. I'm sure we all know , realize and understand that lens element is great, can't easily be scratched and have the best quality.

I just want to say that if someone feels 'guilty' to wipe the front element, buy a UV filter. If you are not, don't buy. :biggrin:

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas

Assuming the threads still work & the filter isn't stuck.....:wink:

14. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    All of those that I have owned.

15. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I clean my camera equipment after each and every use. The practice includes ensuring that threads such as those on lenses are free of debris that would otherwise cause binding or cross-threading. I acclimated to this habit from the use of my firearms during military service.

Few things are as frustrating as having equipment that fails to function because simple maintenance was not completed.

I once saw a fellow pro take a Leatherman to a ND8 filter on his Nikon 70-200 because he could not budge it by hand. I also saw a fellow military member jam his .45 pistol. In both cases, each knucklehead failed to clean his equipment.

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Problem is,
    "Both" sides are right - this debate has never been solved in the myriad of forums that it pops up in & will not be solved here either in this thread....:smile:

17. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I never offered any of my posts in this thread as contribution to solving anything: just things things that have worked for me. Nobody is "right" or wrong; however I have seen some people practice things that eventually caused them grief.

As I said in an earlier post, I have not varied regarding the use of UV filters.