1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Filters?...Other than UV

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Marine Paethor, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Marine Paethor

Marine Paethor Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Oregon
    Donny
    Other than UV filters, what are good general purpose filters to have. I have a Hoya CPL filter on the way now, but I was trying to figure out what else I should look at picking up in the near future. I'm trying to cover as many of my basis before hand as I get more and more practice with the camera, for all types of photography. I was thinking probably a ND filter as well, but I wasn't sure if any other filters were good general purpose filters to have, or if everything else such as skylight and specific color filters were for more specific projects and looks.

Thanks for any input. :)

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    ND filters are good if you use tripods or have very fast lenses.

UV's don't actually do anything on digital, other than act as protection...

3. akhyar

akhyar Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 16, 2012
    After CPL, I used ND filters a lot.
    Either get a really good quality Vari ND or get at least 3-stops ND filter.
    I always bring out the CPL, 3-stops and 10-stops ND filters

4. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    With digital, polarizers, ND, and graduated ND are the only filters that I see much value to using. Other effects are available in post.

I personally don't use UV filters, but I know many do. Under harsh conditions, I would consider using one.

5. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I use ND most, Pol sometimes, and recently added a 720 Nm infrared filter (almost hand held possible with the E-M5).
    I have bought all filters in 58 mm and use step up rings (37-46 and 46-58) with a collapsing rubber hood for filters. With the 12 mm, the rubber hood offers little shading, on all other lenses it is good enough.

6. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Polarizer for me. Variable ND comes out when I want to explore slow shutter speeds in bright light. Graduated ND comes out when I'm looking at some landscapes.

7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    +1 on just polarizers and ND filters. A 3-stop ND filter can come in handy if you want to get some shallow DOF shots in bright daylight. Your max shutter speed might be enough on its own but the 3 stops of leeway gives you more flexibility.

8. Marine Paethor

Marine Paethor Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Oregon
    Donny
    Thank you all for the input. I'll plan on picking up a ND and a probably a graduated ND in 52mm so I can use them on my Pany lenses, and a 46mm step down ring to use them on my 2 Sigma lenses.

9. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Don't get a round grad ND filter, they are pretty much useless. To effectively use a grad filter, you need to be able to adjust the position of the horizon on it, and that means that you need a square filter that is bigger than your lens. You can get a holder for it (Cokin are the most readily available) or you can just hold the filter with your hand. I have the Cokin grad set, which is cheaper than many others, but some dislike it, complaining that there is a color cast in the filters.

10. shihhan.chen

shihhan.chen New to Mu-43

Mar 6, 2013
    UV/Protectors: for reassurance, but increases flare

CPL: for increases contrast of clouds, shooting through glass/reflections/water

ND: for shooting at wide open apertures in sunny days (portraits), or day time long exposure photography (fountains/waterfalls/rivers etc.)

GND: landscapes / architecture, to avoid blowing the highlights and underexposing the scene when shooting in harsh sunlight.

Special effect filters: does what it says on the tin.

Other filters can be emulated in PP.