1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Filters on Panasonic 7-14mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by FlyPenFly, Jun 7, 2012.

1. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Any possible way to do this well?

I want to attach a graduated ND filter that is screw on, not the Lee style.

2. sym5

sym5 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    SoCal
    Nope.

3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    There is no way known that he's getting the full 7mm with that thing !

Are you sure you want a threaded type graduated ND filter ? Those filters have the transition firmly in the middle of the glass meaning every single shot you take you will have to compose with the horizon in the dead center of the frame, inflexible to say the least. The reason why the slide-in Lee type grads are so popular with landscape photogs is that you can adjust the transition line and give yourself that flexibility.

4. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Yes, in fact I have a full Lee set for use on my FF cameras. It's too unwieldly to use many times although its useful as well at certain times.

5. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    I agree that a 77mm would not allow 7mm without vignetting. I ran a test with a 105mm filter and found that 105 is just enough to allow 7mm with no vignetting if was right up against the edge of the built in hood.

Lee Filters built an adapter for the Nikon 12-24 that locks onto the built in hood of that lens. I was thinking of designing up something analogous to adapt my old Lee split ND's and 105mm polarizer to use on the 7-14. Hopefully I will get the time for that this summer.

I will second the value of the rectangular split ND's. I am not sure I understand the advantage of a screw in split ND.

6. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Because it's still useful to have that much gradation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    That's exactly what I intend to do....using 100mm Hitech filters+holder. All in all, given i will have at least a small backpack with me when I go fishing, hiking, snowboarding and will do some landscape stuff....the additional setup is in reality quite small as long as I manage to find a neat and sturdy little case. The 100mm setup may also come in handy for use on the wide end of the 12-35 if in fact I do get that lens.

It's not a perfect solution, but a compromise that I'll be happy to make.

BTW....I'm still trying to find a local precision flashing cutting service to cut me a very small tolerance ND glass to fit to the inside of the 7-14 hood...if I can get that cut, then I'll figure out a holding/placing lug.

8. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    Nice Images, but that does not answer the question. I fully agree that a split ND is very useful, and I often use more than one. I also have reverse split ND's. However, these are all rectangular ones so I can position the transition in the image independent of setting composition. A screw in split ND forces the transition in one position so you have to either change composition or sometimes have it in the wrong place.

So please explain what you mean by "it is useful to have that much gradation". And why is that unique to screw in split ND's?

9. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    I am pretty sure that the 12-35 will take a slim 58mm and not vignette. the filter threads are 58mm, so I would guess that would work. A standard slim mount Lee adapter should allow for the Lee system to attach to that lens.

10. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Oh its simply because its much easier to handle a camera with a screw in split ND. I often shoot with 2-3 bodies loaded with different prime lengths. A Lee filter is useful when I can setup a tripod and I'm shooting a specific scene for a while. Otherwise, it's cumbersome and somewhat dangerous because its very easy to damage and fragile.

11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Very nice shots.
    Agreed. A simple screw in type GND although limiting, can still be VERY useful. But given the limitations of the 7-14, screw in types are unfortunately not an option.

12. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I'm not expecting any sort of issue with filters on the 12-35 either. Down to 20mm (equivalent) you don't usually have vignetting issues.

I looked at that DIY for the 7-14 filter holder, he says it works down to 9mm.

Maybe I should try to convert an OEM front lens cap, it won't be cheapest route, but I know the VFC4412 fits well. Cut the front off and attach a blank filter ring. I see someone on DPR forum has made one of these

13. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
  14. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    That is the basic idea I was going for, but I was going to design it up in a CAD program and then machine it from black Delrin.

15. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Be sure to let me know how you go....I'd definitely be interested if you managed to get something going. I'll do like wise....I'm hoping to find someone who can do something with glass cutting and fitting of some kind of pin-lug....id like to be able to slot it inside the hood, unlikely but I'll ask around and see if anyone is game to try.

16. rjay

rjay New to Mu-43

May 18, 2012
    This outfit (Lucroit filter systems) makes a slip on filter for the Pany 7-14. I've ordered a set. The latest HiTech filters have arrived, but the holder has not yet been delivered to me. They ship worldwide.

HiTech improved their filters over the past few years as described in various reviews---better color fidelity and clarity---and seem the equal of Lee, for less money.

17. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I can't seem to understand any of it.

Does that filter take 4x6 singhray and lee filters?

How do I order one?