Filters: I want a Lee Big Stopper, but would like to pay less for a complete set

fsuscotphoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
I'm going crazy trying to figure out what to buy. The Lee Seven5 Deluxe Set is exactly what I want, but $560 is a lot of money for something that I won't use all the time. Does anyone like Cokin, someone, make something like that set or individually, that I can pay maybe half the price without compromising my photos?

mcrosa

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike Crosa
I just purchased the Cokin set and I like the quality a lot. Have not had a chance to test them yet. But like you could not justify the cost of the Lee Filters.

cmpatti

Mu-43 Veteran
Has anyone tried out the Hitech IRND filters? My regular Hitech ND gets crazy amounts of IR pollution and is unsuitable for color photography (but works well for B&W). The Hitech IRND seems to be a less expensive solution than either the Lee Big Stopper or the Tiffen IRND. From what I've seen, it does cause some blue shift, but this should be easily correctible, in contrast to the IR pollution, which isn't. I'm thinking about getting a 62mm round version for my 12-40mm, which costs about US$ 130. 67mm rectangular versions are about $80, but would require a new filter holder.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

Just Jim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't like lee holders. They are over priced, under functioning, and hard to use. Their filters are alright, I prefer the Singh Rays and Schneider/B+W products when I shell out for pricey filters.

Check out some cheapo Chinese matte boxes (like fotga, or a mid priced genustech well, cheap for a matte box) if you want a higher end product or, save alot cash and space and use the Cokin P.

Cokin P is probably the easiest to use, loads of available filters which are cheaper then the 4" filters, and actually have a couple better functions like a sprocket rotation for polarizers that you would see on a matte box without having to use rails so you can have one excellent polarizer instead of a few maybe lesser quality ones and at smaller P sized filters. So much easier to use, I can't emphasize that enough.

cmpatti

Mu-43 Veteran
As an amendment to my prior post, the Tiffen IRND filters may actually be less expensive than the Hitech--at least that is true for the 62mm round Tiffen which lists for about $80. However, I haven't been able to find anyone with them in stock and haven't seen any results.

mcrosa

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike Crosa
Further on the Cokin Filters, I opted for the series A as they are perfect for my micro 4/3 lens. I don't think the P size will work for m4/3rds.

Cruzan80

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Sean Rastsmith
P will work but is oversized comparatively. Cokin A works up to 68mm filter size.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

fsuscotphoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
If you want a Big Stopper, why are looking at a kit that has 3 GND filters?

I want a complete kit and the Lee sets have the Big Stopper. I realize I could buy Lee mounts and holders, then just the Stopper, but I would like to get more than just that one.

fsuscotphoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
After reading all of these, and thanks for the replies, I'm still confused. Can I get essentially the same filters from Cokin or Tiffen or someone else? The Lee Seven5 Big Stopper is $80, but the sets are expensive. I've been hunting and unless I've missed something no one else makes a ten stop filter that is less expensive.

If the Coken filters are ok optically, they would be cheaper. I just don't to do a lot of post work, otherwise why bother with the filters at all?

Just Jim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
After reading all of these, and thanks for the replies, I'm still confused. Can I get essentially the same filters from Cokin or Tiffen or someone else? The Lee Seven5 Big Stopper is $80, but the sets are expensive. I've been hunting and unless I've missed something no one else makes a ten stop filter that is less expensive.

If the Coken filters are ok optically, they would be cheaper. I just don't to do a lot of post work, otherwise why bother with the filters at all?

There's a whole world of filters. Many of which can somewhat simulated with lots of work post. IMO, filters are quicker and easier and you'll know you got the shot when you take it. And there are a few filters out thee that can't simulated well at all; polarizers, contrast, GND's in high range scenes (because if there's no info to massage out in post the shot is SOL).

I'd avoid the A size cokin as there just aren't that many filters available for that size, where as the cokin P and 4" will have the most available.

http://www.singh-ray.com/mor-slo10.html yeah I know it's suuuper expensive. but it's cheaper than your starter kit with Lee, and they are nice optical resin which resist scratching better than glass in my experience.

But if all you want is a 10 stop, get a larger thread mounted one and a step up ring that goes to your largest lens you'll think you'll get. And save even more money and space.

Cruzan80

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Sean Rastsmith
If all you want really is a heavy ND, look into getting some welding glass cut to fit any of these.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

cmpatti

Mu-43 Veteran
If you are looking for a 10 stop ND, you need to be aware of the reasons that these filters can be problematic: light leaks, IR pollution, and color shifts among them. For color photography, I think you really need a filter that blocks light in the IR spectrum. Tiffen and Hitech both make these (and I assume the Lee Big Stopper blocks IR based on images I've seen from it), but they are relatively expensive and hard to find. Cokin doesn't seem to, and stacking a bunch of regular NDs won't do it. Best probably to do a web search on 10-stop NDs; there are several articles out there by people who have actually used and tested them.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

Latest threads

Top Bottom