Filters, how big is TOO big for M43?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by rpringle, Jan 29, 2014.

1. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    Hello again

Here with another question this time directed towards filters of the polarizer and ND type. I bought into 77mm filter sizes with my DSLR because my largest Ultra wide lens is that size and I bought step up rings for everything else. I figured I'd just buy some step up rings for my M43 collection but I'm wondering if dragging around 77mm filters with a mirrorless camera would be silly? Right now I have the 17mm f1.8 and the 75-300mm ii and I'm thinking the large filter on the tiny lenses might be too unwieldy. Would it be good to have a separate set of ND filters and polarizer in 58mm thread for the M43 system? What have others experiences been with migrating from DSLR to M43 in this regard?

Thanks - Ray

PS I mainly use the filters for landscapes / long exposures I don't do much video.
  2. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I use 77mm filters on my :43: lenses with step-up rings. I already own them so I might as well use them. Silly? Perhaps. I don't care. They get the job done. I don't need to spend any more money on smaller-diameter filters. No one has ever commented on how silly my DSLR-sized filters look on my :43: camera equipment. No one. It's not as if I'm wearing trousers four sizes too big and they're hanging on my hindparts with my underdrawers showing. It's camera equipment. I suspect that the uninitiated would likely assume that the seemingly-oversized filters are purposefully utilized for some specialized effect. If anyone were to ever ask me, I would just bend their ear with a dissertation on the engineering dynamics of spectrophotometry.:tongue::biggrin:
  3. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    That I'd like to hear, but I work with spectroscopy, so I might be the odd one out here! :smile:

IMO it's not the body but the lens that determines how big the filter needs to be. I have used 25mm filters with my DSLR, but they wouldn't be suitable for my native µ4/3 gear.

Photographically, there is no real limit to the size of filter you can use, but using filters that are significantly larger than any of your lenses need is impractical & expensive. If like OdBm you already have larger ones they work fine unless you need the extra mm of space in your bag. If buying new filters it generally makes sense to consider the largest thread size you're likely to want to use them on, and get stepping rings for smaller threads.
  4. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Me too. We use spectroscopy (UV, VIS, IR, etc...) all the time in the lab and I teach it, so I would also be very interested in this. Please go ahead.

5. PandaSPUR

PandaSPUR Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2014
    The only reason I see for NOT using oversized fitlers is if it gets in the way of a lens hood which you might or might not need depending on the situation.

I've put oversized filters on my G1 with the 20/1.7 before, but I prooobably wouldnt do the same with my GM1..
    I cant imagine how my GM1 would sit on a table with a 77mm filter attached.
  6. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    I started with my 77mm CP and VND, but fairly quickly downsized to a 58mm set. The 77s actually don't fit in the bags I use for my m43 kit. So it's worth it to me.
  7. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Which set are you using?
  8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Silly? If that size, for you, is the best tool for the job, who cares what others might think? That said, for me 77mm would be far to big.

I have my four primes and my 9-18 bushed to 52mm. I chose 52mm because it is not too bulky and because it is probably the most common size, being the standard for Nikon lenses for many years. (Everything from my 24mm 2.8 to my 200mm 4 took 52mm filters.)

An overlooked advantage for standardization, IMHO, is the fact that when changing lenses, the cap from the lens coming out of the bag can go onto the lens being removed from the camera. So -- one less bit to juggle and a few seconds saved.
  9. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    B+W F-Pro CP

Very happy with the CP, the VND creates an interesting "X" pattern if you push it too far.
  10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

58mm is too small if you ever plan on getting the O12-40...
  11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Since you already own some 77mm filters, and your primary usage for your filters are landscape and long-exposure, there is really no need to get smaller filters to do the same job, unless, as someone else has pointed out, the 77mm filter doesn't fit into your camera bag for m4/3 gears.

I use a 67mm VND filter for all my lenses because my lens with the largest filter thread uses 67mm filters, and I am never worried about how it looks on my camera, even if that filter is fitted on a small prime lens... It serves its function, and I don't have to worry about carrying too many filters around. That's what's important for me...
  12. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    That hapens with all of them. It a function of how they work.
    The CP will also introduce uneven skies on very wide shots.
  13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There is no such thing as too big for filters, just too small. If a 4x4 works for you then go for it.
  14. Trinurse

Trinurse Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Funny, my wife said something very similar just the other day.,,
  15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    You shouldn't have any issues with larger filters if you plan to use them selectively, ie for landscape and the like where you are being methodical and controlled. For general work, it makes it harder to use lens hoods, so they can become impractical for some situations. You also need to make sure that the step-down rings don't obstruct things if you need too many. I've always bought the largest filter for my largest lens and use step-down rings for the smaller lenses.