filters for supertelephoto lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Gary Ramey, May 8, 2013.

1. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I just purchased a Canon 300mm FD lens to try on my OMD. Like the last large lens I had briefly, it has a drop in filter...very small. I'm guessing the one that is in it by default is some kind of UV? I am very new to the super telephoto game so any help is appreciated. Thanks,
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    UV filters are useless in terms of image quality in a digital age unless we're talking 7-14 with E-M5, where there is some odd purple in-lens reflection happening. otherwise, You don't need any filters, really. The two types shooting RAW wont let you mimic are polarizers and ND/ gradND filters.
  3. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    The one that is in it is probably either UV or just clear glass. Oftentimes lenses with glass drop-in filters (between the lens and the sensor) require that some sort of filter be present at all times - that thickness of glass is part of the optical design. So you will want to keep the filter that came with your lens in place. These days there isn't much use for filters beyond neutral density (can't imagine why you'd want that on a super telephoto) and polarizing (not practical for drop in filters). So most likely you are just going to leave the filter that came with the lens in place and forget about it.