Filters for Panasonic 35-100 2.8 ??

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PantelisMor, Mar 9, 2014.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013

Finally i bought panasonic 35-100. I would like yous opinions about filters. What filters to buy except from the UV ?
    Do i need anything else ?

Thx a lot ?
  2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
  3. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    I think this lens i will use more for portraits and natural photography until to buy a macro lens.
  4. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

An ND filter would be useful if you want to shoot video: an ND16 would bring the shutter speed down to around 1/50 in sunny conditions at f/2.8. A polarising filter is also useful for making skies bluer and greens greener. I'd recommend using a UV filter if only to protect your £800 lens! I use a Hoya Pro UV filter on my 12-35mm and there's no necernible reduction in imagine quality.
  5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    A UV can not improve an image. If you are lucky, it will not degrade an image. Filters are evil; they cost money, have bulk and weight, they can be damaged and will depreciate. The only filters you need for work in the field are a first class CPL (like B+W Kasemann) and a strong ND or VND for slowing down waterfalls, streams...etc. The rest of the effects can be easily done in the huge world of post processing tools.

Lens hoods are well proven technology for protecting lens front element. A hood will not mess with the image and may keep out glare.
  6. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
  7. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If you're using it for portraits, then definitely look at an ND filter. I would go with either a 2 or 3 stop filter. I use a 3 stop filter on my 1.8 lenses, which is basically a stop faster than 2.8, so you could go with a 2 stop. Honestly though, I'd go with a 3 stop to be safe. If it slows the shutter a bit too much, you can always compensate with exposure compensation, and the OIS of the lens since the subject is static anyways.

For nature shots, definitely look at getting a CPL filter. The best (moderately priced) CPL's are either B+W or Marumi.

Make sure that the filter has a coating, which helps with reduce flare.
  8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Hi, are you trying to slow the shutter for flash sync?

And multi-coated filters are even better.

9. gs94121

gs94121 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2011
    As happy Panasonic Lumix lens owner for m43 camera at 58mm filter size, I liked Marumi filters for protector, polarizer and variable ND.

The link for Marumi filters are:
  10. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    I would get THIS one if you require a filter for protection. Not sure I would get it on eBay, but that is personal choice.