1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Filters for Oly 12-50 & 60mm Macro with hood?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Tapper, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I want to get a decent clear UV filter for my Oly 12-50 (52mm filter) and 60mm Macro (46mm filter), mainly for trips to sandy beach areas so the front element doesn't get damaged.

Looking at the 52mm B&W Clear UV filters on Amazon, and noticed one reviewer said he couldn't have the hood and filter on at the same time. This is the filter link.

Can anyone recommend a good filter they have used successfully with the Oly 12-50 that also allows the hood to be attached? And the same for the Oly 60mm Macro -- what filter will also allow the hood to be attached.

Just want to be sure before I order. Thanks.

Also, before anyone recommends not using filters -- normally I don't. I only want them for use in sandy environments since the front elements might be affected even with hoods on.

2. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I use the B&H...no issues.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Do you mean B+W? Or does B&H sell a house branded line of filters?

4. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I use a b+w for time when I am shooting in harsh environments. Get the clear ones, though, and not a uv.

And get the size that is called for and you will have no issues with the hood.

5. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    B+W XS-Pro Clear MRC-Nano 007 Filter

6. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    Anyone know how Marumi filters compare to B+W filters?

I'm interested in the Circular Polarizer filters. I have used B+W filters on my Canon "L" glass, but my finances are a little tight and B+W are very expensive.

I have read some good things about the Marumi filters made in Japan. Anyone have any experience with Marumi or other quality Circular Polarizer filters?

7. john_w

john_w New to Mu-43

Mar 22, 2013
    The olympus hood on the 60mm macro doesn't attach in the usual way, it slides over the lens body and is stored there until needed when you just slide it forward. It doesn't touch the filter mount and actually clears it by a few mm so you can fit whatever filter you like with no difficulty..

8. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    LOL...Sorry... I couldn't find the + sign on the Android KB fast enough....