Filters for Micro 4/3

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Holymoly, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Holymoly

Holymoly Mu-43 Regular

New boy to Olympus PEN cameras here. I have just returned to Hong Kong at great expense a Hoya 40.5 protective filter. With all the research I had done I felt sure that if PEN lenses utilised a different filter I would have picked up on the fact.. but no.

Could some kind person direct me to where I might buy one of these. With thanks.
  2. Diginaut

Diginaut New to Mu-43

Oct 21, 2011
    I do not bother to use filters anymore as, on a number of ocassions, I got flares on the images when there are lightings in front.

This happens on my 14mm, kit zooms and even legacy lenses.

For protection to the front lens element, I use lens hoods or filter step-up rings without the filter.

If your research shows that m43 needs a special filter, please let us know.
  3. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking what size filter you need for a specific lens?
  4. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Pen lenses like most lenses have their filter size written somewhere on the lens body. You can also find the information at or anywhere the specifications are given in full. As you're in NZ you're better off buying via eBay than from local photo suppliers. You could try TradeMe sellers too but their markups are quite steep.
  5. Holymoly

Holymoly Mu-43 Regular

Bike Mounted E-PL2

Thanks for this. The reason I want a filter and that I need a piece of glass in front of my lens is that I plan to record video with the camera mounted on my motorcycle. I would prefer for those little flying creatures to go splat on a piece of protective material rather than the lens itself.

6. Holymoly

Holymoly Mu-43 Regular

Further Explanation

Hey Danny. I have a 14-45 lens and I am told it takes a 40.5 filter. M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 | OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM | Olympus Imaging Asia Duly I purchased a 40.5 mm filter from ebay but it was too big. I assumed therefore that PEN cameras might have their own unique filters.

7. Holymoly

Holymoly Mu-43 Regular

ebay v trademe

Hi Mark. Speaking of trademe is this a relation of yours? Trade Me - Listings from mark_b
    I can find nothing inscribed on the lens but every resource I found gave the 14-45 filter size as 40.5 mm and so I can't see why the Hoya one that I bought didn't fit. Yes good point about trademe being relatively expensive but if you get it wrong on ebay sometimes closer to home pays dividends. It cost me over $NZ10 (five quid) to return a tiny package to Hongkers. I do like to support the local guys but by the same token I also like to support myself :)

8. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    The link to the 14-42 (not 14-45) lens you gave shows it to be the first version which indeed as the link says has a Filter Size Diameter 40.5mm.
    The filter thread size is on the front of the lens - it is the number after the Ø symbol. The fact the front of the has the number 40.5 on it should give you a clue. If you really have a 14-45 lens that has nothing written on the front then you don't have the lens you linked to.
    Filters screw on to the lens.

The mark 2 version of the 14-42 lens has a filter size of 37mm. If that number is on your lens you have the version 2, and a 40.5 filter would indeed not fit on it.
  9. Diginaut

Diginaut New to Mu-43

Oct 21, 2011
    Hi Holymoly, the 14-45mm lens AFAIK is not an Olympus lens. It could be a Panasonic Lumix one and this lens will need a 52mm filter.
    Please see link:

Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)

The Oly lenses are only 14-42mm
    There are 3 versions:
    14-42 mk1 uses 40.5mm filter
    14-42 mkII MSC and mkII R MSC use the 37mm filter.
    Yours should be the 37mm type as you have said 40.5mm is too big.

My 2 cents worth...

10. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    No connection beyond coincidence. I never bought from him either when in NZ. The markups are among the ones I was talking about. e.g. Olympus BLS1 equivalent, about US$5 on eBay with free shipping (say NZ$8-9), same one from TM sellers NZ$30 + $5 post. If in doubt take your lens to your local camera store. They'll charge you more for a filter but it's worth it if you're not sure in saved return costs.
  11. kanasgowatom

kanasgowatom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011

I was thinking, wouldn't an accumulation of splattered material play havoc with your focus?

12. Holymoly

Holymoly Mu-43 Regular

Thank you Sir.. problem solved. 37mm indeed.

13. Holymoly

Holymoly Mu-43 Regular

That is a good point. I am just thinking short 10 minute rides like up to our Wharerata lookout. I won't be blasting either because I would like to share the results with members of our video club. Most of them are past their spring chicken days and I don't want to scare them :) I may well just set the focus manually and close down the aperture for depth of field purposes. I trust you can do that in video mode?

14. Holymoly

Holymoly Mu-43 Regular

Hey Mark.. the coincidences keep coming. The reason I attended to trademe's "Mark B" is that I am one myself.. born in the UK even. Glad you made it over here to visit us.

With Spuff's contribution I think I can reasonably safely purchase my next filter without concern of another surprise. Entering Hoya 37mm into the trademe search bar yields no results whatever. I have asked the question of one seller with a reasonably priced larger offering but at $31.95 plus shipping it would still cost me $15 to support the local guy.

Ironically I am shopping for mags for my Volvo at present. The lesson with the UV filter is a very cheap one in terms of leaving nothing to chance.