Filters For Landscape photography ???

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PantelisMor, Aug 2, 2016.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello.

I shot many landscape photos. I try to improve my photography. In this way i want to buy the appropriate accesories.
    I have a CPL filter and i just bought a Vanguard Tripod.

I am interest to buy some filters. I have some queries.
    1.Which ND filters are Handy ??
    2. Grad NDs are usefull ? or it is much easier to just take a bracketed exposure and do HDR ?
    3. Which Company ? (Haida,Nisi, Lee,Hitech or noname).

Plz give me your advices......

2. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    The handling of filters is one of those things in photography, that are nearly religious. Everyone has an opinion and they might not necessarily be what you find yourself. With that said, here is what I think. Some people will most likely disagree.

1. I have found that quite often in daylight, even a 10 stop filter might not be enough. Probably a combination of 10 and 6 stop filters would be ideal. I built my own 105mm Filter holder for the P7-14 so filter cost and availability is an issue, but depending on size, this might not be a problem.
    2. I find bracketing so much quicker than grad NDs. Also, more often than not the horizon line is not just a straight line. If it is, chances are your composition is too boring anyway. You will hear people say that it's better to get it right in camera, but if you than have to lighten a big tree going into the sky in post, that's not what I call getting it right.
    3. Others might be more experienced here. I have not done conclusive testing of these kinds of things. Usually image quality for me is good enough. My 105mm FormatHitech 10stop introduces a noticeable purple colour cast that is mostly visible at the edges of the frame. I would assume that ultra wides might be more demanding for things like that. I am happy with my B+W 58mm polarizer, although it does seem to add more flaring to my 20mm if the sun is in the frame. To be honest I find the correction of colour casts fairly easy after having done a lot of under water photography post processing.

Lastly: It seems from the names you listed that you are looking at drop in square filters. To me they seem clumsy in operation and they are quite big on mu43 lenses. That said, I've not personally tried any of those systems so maybe I'm wrong.

3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I use a 10 stop Haida screw in filter. I also have a filter dude holder to fit my 12-40 and then reducer rings to fit onto my 75mm and other lenses for my Haida reverse gnds 100x150. I don't use thumbs whole lot, usually defaulting to bracketing and then editing in LR or PS.

4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    HiTech makes 67mm filters that are a perfect fit for M43 and reasonably priced (resin). I have a set of Grads and a few NDs. I don't use the ND's as much, but the grads I use now and then for landscape. They fit in a small bag or shirt pocket with ease. No color cast in my experience. Lee also has the seven5 system at a much higher price point. The 67mm is also compatible with a Cokin A filter holder (same size as other brands (Lee, Cokin, Haida). Bracketing works too, but if you aren't using a tripod the filters are nice to have and not bulky.

I love my Haida 10 stop filter and I agree that sometimes 10 stops isn't enough in bright sun. I don't have a six to stack though.

5. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Thx a lot all of you.
    If i buy 67mm, i assume that i will use these only for my omd. Not for any crop or ff. Am i right ?
    Also these filters will i be able to use them with oly 7-14mm 2.8 if i bought it ?

6. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    The oly 7-14 is in it's own category. I think some people have designed filter holders for the 100mm square filters. Certainly 67mm will not be enough, as that is smaller than the front element of the lens (the P7-14 has 70mm at F4). My Filter holder for the Panasonic version (again, this one is smaller) uses 105mm circular filters, so even the 100mm squares might vignette at 7mm on the larger Olympus lens.

In any case, these ultra wides call for either their own system or massively oversized filters for all of your other lenses.

7. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    This is why I bought the 100 x 150 filters...eventually one day I'll own another 7-14...and when I do I'll be able to use those filters (with a custom adaptor).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Correct....anything over 67mm it will be too small. I sold my 43 7-14mm partly for that reason, but also because I don't like distortion at 7mm, so the 9-18 size/weight and fitting my existing filters was a no brainer.