Filters for 14-42mm Zuiko Lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by vann, Jun 22, 2012.

1. vann

vann New to Mu-43

Jun 17, 2012
    I thought it would be nice to protect the lens, so I was looking at some inexpensive, clear UV filters.
    (camera is Oly EPL-1 with stock 14-42mm Zuiko Lens)

What do you think about Vivitar?

I have found a very affordable Vivitar set of 3 filters. They are multi-coated and besides the basic UV, there are circular polarizer and neutral density filters in the set.

I would appreciate some input on this set and/or any recommendation of other inexpensive lens filters.

P.S. 14-42mm Zuiko Lens uses 40.5mm size filters, right?

2. vann

vann New to Mu-43

Jun 17, 2012
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Just to clarify, you are referring to the M.Zuiko 14-42mm (first edition), correct? If that's the case, you are correct that 40.5mm is the right filter size. However, the "II" and "II R" versions of this lens utilize 37mm filters, and there is also the Zuiko (not M.Zuiko) 14-42mm for the Four Thirds (non-Micro) system which requires 58mm filters. In any case the filter size should be listed on the front of the lens following a capital Phi symbol (Φ).

I'll let lie the argument as to whether protective filters are necessary and pass along the reasonable-seeming advice that I've gotten from other users on this forum: "Hoya or better". I think I'd pass on that Vivitar set -- the price is just too good to be true.

• Like Like x 2