1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Filtering images by lens

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Drmarkf, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Drmarkf

Drmarkf Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 26, 2010
    Cambridge, UK
    Dear all,
    Among other combinations, I frequently use my Panasonic 20mm f1.7 on an Oly E-PL2 body and it's probably the body-lens combination I use the most since I like the perspective, speed, sharpness and size/weight of the lens.

I shoot raw and use Capture One as raw processor, so because the E-PL2 doesn't correct the 20mm's raw file barrel distortion in-body, I currently run all the images through PTLens after tweaking in Capture One.

I'm really happy with the resulting images, but it's a bit of a pain selecting all the 20mm Panny images for processing through PTLens. I do use it on some images taken on other body-lens combinations, but much less frequently, and I was wondering if anyone knew a simple image handling application that could, say, move all the jpegs in a given folder that had the 20mm in their EXIF data in to another folder (where I could throw PTLens at them in one go). I know PhotoMechanic will do this, but I feel it's a bit over the top for a simple need such as mine.

Alternatively, can anyone think of any other ways of achieving this with a simple workflow? I also have PSE 9.

Many thanks for any help.

2. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but in Lightroom, I can instantly filter all of my images by camera model or lens type. I can then easily "collect" all of the selected images into a separate folder without physically moving anything about. Although I haven't tried it, PTLens has an external editor that works with Lightroom.

PS: I should have also mentioned that Lightroom corrects for lens distortion by specific lens model, so you shouldn't have to bother with PTLens for that. That way, you don't need to create new files of the same images in jpeg or TIFF to fiddle with in external editors.

3. Drmarkf

Drmarkf Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 26, 2010
    Cambridge, UK
    Thanks - I'll have a dig around in Capture One, maybe it'll do something similar.
    I tried Lightroom ages ago (having used its predecessor Raw Shooter before) but i preferred and I've got on very well with C1.

4. So...Capture One doesn't recognize the software RAW correction data from the ORF file?

5. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I was looking at the C1, and it looks like you may need to upgrade to the Media One to get the data management functions of LR.

6. Drmarkf

Drmarkf Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 26, 2010
    Cambridge, UK
    Yes, that's right. I can't really afford the upgrade at the moment - however I've now found the menu choice in C1 Express to select by lens and move files to a 'Selects' folder. There I can whizz them all through PTLens and stick them all back in the final output jpeg folder.

Slightly clunky, but it's good enough and a lot quicker than what I was doing before. I really don't think I'm processing enough images at the moment to make it worthwhile dropping several hundred quid on a bespoke solution.

C1 Pro is a great programme, however...

Many thanks for the help.