1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Filter threads on the 17mm, strong?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Monza76, May 1, 2012.

1. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    I just got a very nice Fotodiox metal lens hood for my 17mm and I just want opinions from anyone with a similar set up. Is the 17mm strong enough to support a metal hood for everyday use. Will a small bump on the hood do any damage to the lens. I use metal lens hoods on all of my DSLR lenses (Pentax and Nikon) with no issues but the 17mm seems so small and delicate... Am I concerned about nothing.

BTW it looks very cool and uses a 52mm lens cap so it can stay on the lens all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  2. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I've not tried it but I don't think I would unless it's very light. It's not an internal focus lens so the hood's going to be a stress on what is quite a small mechanism.

• Like Like x 1
  3. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Ira - I've had a metal lens hood on my 17 for a while, and I've had no problems at all. Sorry for the poor contrast image, I took this shot with my iPhone.

IMG_3774.JPG
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

4. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    Thank's for the comments, I can see the point of how this small lens has small mechanicals so I will be careful but I will try it for a while.

5. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I use a step ring and metal hood on mine.
    Have had it on since bought it and trade the hood with my 20 and leave the step ring on it.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.