Filter threads on the 17mm, strong?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Monza76, May 1, 2012.

1. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    I just got a very nice Fotodiox metal lens hood for my 17mm and I just want opinions from anyone with a similar set up. Is the 17mm strong enough to support a metal hood for everyday use. Will a small bump on the hood do any damage to the lens. I use metal lens hoods on all of my DSLR lenses (Pentax and Nikon) with no issues but the 17mm seems so small and delicate... Am I concerned about nothing.

BTW it looks very cool and uses a 52mm lens cap so it can stay on the lens all the time.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I've not tried it but I don't think I would unless it's very light. It's not an internal focus lens so the hood's going to be a stress on what is quite a small mechanism.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Ira - I've had a metal lens hood on my 17 for a while, and I've had no problems at all. Sorry for the poor contrast image, I took this shot with my iPhone.

4. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    Thank's for the comments, I can see the point of how this small lens has small mechanicals so I will be careful but I will try it for a while.
  5. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    I use a step ring and metal hood on mine.
    Have had it on since bought it and trade the hood with my 20 and leave the step ring on it.
    • Like Like x 1