Filter system for 12-40 pro - confirm my ideas

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by cyrax83, May 17, 2015.

1. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    I've recently been looking into a filter system for my 12-40mm and E-M1.
    I purchased a Haida 77mm 10 stop ND Filter (screw in) and a 62-77mm step up ring (since 12-40 is 62mm filter size) which I am very much looking forward to. It hasn't arrived yet but I'm starting to think about Grad ND filters. I know the Seven5 Lee system is the best, but far too expensive for just a hobbyist.

I've been thinking about this system for Grad-ND's:

1. Cokin BP 400A Filter Holder (hold up to 3 filters and fit lenses up to 84mm with square filters of 82mm) - ~$13

2. Cokin CP462 62mm Lens Adapter ring to mount to 12-40mm lens - ~$20

3. Cokin CP482 77mm Lens Adapter ring so I can mount my 77mm 10stop ND Filter to the ring and use it as a drop in to the Cokin System (light-sealed 10 stop drop-in ND Filter) - ~$20

(this guy shows it here

4. Hitech 3 kit Grad ND Filter Hard Edge -~$55
    There is also soft edge. Hitech is 85mm but I've read that it fits 84mm Cokin P-Series holder fine.

Total Cost: around $115

Is my thinking right or is this not going to work? I've never used ND Filters yet so keen on other peoples thoughts. I know I've heard Hitech does have some colour cast so unsure

edit: I've read that Haida is excellent and cheap also so maybe it is better buying into that system - although they don't have many square Grad ND filters which makes it difficult to adjust..
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
  2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    You can get Coking P holder plus all ring adapters for under $20 - holder will be crappy, but rings are decent.

Also, I would suggest to look for real glass, high quality coated filters.

As for myself, I'm kinda dropping the idea of grads and therefore filter system for my Pany 7-14 and other lenses. Will go with just couple round 82mm's.
    Latest HDR results with Lightroom 6 were quite good and it helps where grads would have no use, e.g. this shot on fish-eye:

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  3. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Thanks for tips. I've neard people not using Grad ND these days as it can be apparently created in Lightroom

What would you recommend for a beginner for glass? I have the Haida 10 stop circular screw-in ND incoming
  4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I personally like B+W. Lee and Formatt-Hitech are good alternatives and I will soon check out new Hoya ProND. I've read couple gloving reviews for Haida filters, but they are not so much cheaper than top tier.
    Get the max size that you can foresee to use even if in distant future.
    As I said, being real glass and coated is good.
  5. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Bought this for my E-M1 and 12-40mm (62mm thread). I have no idea i this is going to work but it's purchased now lol. As mentioned I didn't really have enough cash to splash out on the Lee system - the 10 Stop Big Stopper is around $150 USD by itself and availability is limited in Australia (more like $180 USD to get it here)

1. Cokin CBP400A P-Series holder
    2. Hitech 85x110MM Hard Grad ND Filters (0.3, 0.6, 0.9) - 1 stop, 2 stop, 3 stop
    3. Haida Slim Pro II MC 77mm ND Filter 3.0 (10 Stop)
    4. Haida Slim Pro II MC 77mm ND Filter 1.8 (6 Stop)
    5. Hoya 77mm Pro1D CPL Polarizer Filter
    6. 2 x 77mm Cokin P step up ring adapter (aftermarket) - attach to Haida ND filters or Polarizer
    7. 62mm Cokin P step up ring adapter (aftermarket) - attach to 12-40mm
    8. 2 x 62-77mm Step up ring adapter (aftermarket) (in case I want to attach ND/Polarizer directly to 12-40mm)

My thinking is I can use the 77mm Cokin-P step up ring adapter for the Haida ND filters then slot it in to the Cokin CBP400A holder.

Reason for going 77mm is the 40-150mm f/2.8 (which I don't have yet) is 72mm, so just some future proofing.

The Haida's/Hoya were expensive at $60 USD each but they are meant to be excellent quality optically
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
  6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    I have these, but in different sizes. I use the Hitech 67x85mm hard NDs w/a Cokin A holder $4 on ebay. I got the Hitech's for a steal under $30.
    I have a 52mm Haida 10 stop. Both are pretty good in my book. I couldn't splurge on the Lee seven5 system.

I also had a cokin P system w/rings from ebay (generic rings/filters), but wanted a smaller set, so I got the Hitech kit and got some rings on ebay to match.. They can fit in your pocket (shirt or pants) or easily in a small camera bag compartment.

For smaller grad use, lightroom is good enough, but it's nice to have more work room with the .9 when needed and prevents blow outs. Of course a 6 or 10 stop you want for other reasons that lightroom can't help with. Same for polarizers.