Filter stucked on the lens

Real Name
Richard
[QUOTE="Reflector, post: 1340398, member: 18019]

My understanding from how filters get stuck and why conventional manners of manipulating them don't work is that when you compress it along the radius you're effectively deforming the relatively slim metallic ring which causes the circle to become a (very slight) oval that pinches on the still circular threads of the lens or other filter. Those specially shaped filter wrenches effectively form most of a fairly circular circle in regards to pressure application and thus prevent excessive deformation that bumps the circle into a slight oval.
[/QUOTE]

My understanding too. I worked in the camera retail trade for ten years. We would very regularly be asked to help with stuck filters of all sizes. Couldn’t sell a new one until the old one was off :)

Solutions were flat rubber block, filter wrench, or most often the flat of your hand (best done within seconds of the customer handing you the camera for maximum display of expertise). I can’t recall ever sending a lens off elsewhere to solve the problem. Slim polarisers were the worst. Rubber bands and filter wrenches were best on those.

I think someone’s broken in and superglued Bytesmith’s lens cap for a joke.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Since I play around with teleconverters and adapter rings to mount them, I have to be careful with bending the adapter rings out of shape, especially if one gets stuck. So I use a jar opener.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Those specially shaped filter wrenches effectively form most of a fairly circular circle in regards to pressure application and thus prevent excessive deformation that bumps the circle into a slight oval.
This is essentially what I tried to do with the 2x4s, using a hole saw to make as accurate a pair of half-circles as I could.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is essentially what I tried to do with the 2x4s, using a hole saw to make as accurate a pair of half-circles as I could.
Were the 2x4s hinged in such a manner as to allow for the hole saw to engage the threads as a circle or were they clamped together? I would imagine it might apply force in a manner that makes the filter want to become an oval if it was clamped together as you'd contact on the tangent edges.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Apply the tiniest smear of silicon grease to the thread before attaching the lens. A good idea just as general maintenance.
A tip I got from an old pro is to just use skin oil. Wipe your finger on your nose/forehead, and shine the filter threads with it and it's just enough to help prevent it from sticking. Sounds gross, but it's very light oil that won't run and you always have it with you!

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
A tip I got from an old pro is to just use skin oil. Wipe your finger on your nose/forehead, and shine the filter threads with it and it's just enough to help prevent it from sticking. Sounds gross, but it's very light oil that won't run and you always have it with you!
We used to call that "nose grease" when I worked in a photo lab. It was great for filling in scratches on negatives and it came off the negative quite well with cleaner afterwards.

--Ken

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom