Filter stuck on my Oly 45mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by flaxseedoil1000, Mar 1, 2012.

1. flaxseedoil1000

flaxseedoil1000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    It's a clear B+W, not sure what to do.

Tips appreciated :)

2. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    I have a couple of plastic filter wrenches that are awesome for that sort of thing. Had them for 20 years, don't even remember where I got them. Otherwise I don't have any safe suggestions.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    B&H or B+W? ;)

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Get a flat piece of ice at least the diameter of the filter. Push the filter straight into it for a bit, try 10 seconds, then use a piece of rubber sheet to grip the filter and try to turn it. The filter may just shrink enough to loosen. You could also try this with dry ice if you're feeling adventurous. The idea is to quickly cool the filter while the lens thread stays relatively warmer.

No guarantees, but trying this shouldn't hurt anything.

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Something simpler to try first. Get a pair of rubber gloves (e.g., Playtex). Put the glove on and put the palm of your hand on the front edge of the filter. Now try to rotate it without squeezing on the sides. It's that squeezing that tends to bind the threads.

6. I have an old rubber washing-up glove I keep handy for just this sort of thing. You want the extra friction so that you can apply sufficient torque without squeezing the filter too hard (which just makes it harder to remove, as said above).

7. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I've used those rubber gripper pads that you use for getting jar lids off (you can also buy the same material in rolls for lining shelves and drawers). They work great and won't mar the finish on the lens.

8. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I got one of these jar openers at Bed Bath and Beyond:

bookofjoe: Easi-Twist Jar Opener

It was a few years ago so they might not have the same one, but it 82mm to well smaller than 52mm. The inner portion is rubberized so it doesn't mar the metal.

You can pretty much use anything, to be honest. Even putting a rubber band around the filter and turning it can work.

9. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I usually use rubber slipper. Hold the filter with the slipper against a table, then twist the lens

10. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    This happens to me from time to time and the best tool I found over the years is a rubberband. Good luck!

11. flaxseedoil1000

Mar 10, 2011
    Long day, B+W indeed, thx, post corrected.

12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Occasionally I've found that rather than squeezing on both sides, simply pinching one side and rotating will get a filter off without issue.

13. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

These are what you need, but in the correct size:
    filter wrenches

Alternatively, I have a piece of old conveyor belting that I keep for seized filters. Simply press the filter against the belting on a hard surface and turn the lens off the filter.

14. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Rubberbands, filter wrenches, rubber sheets, rubber gloves only work for me if the filter is only slightly stuck. If it is truly jammed, off the threads, then ice is the only thing that has ever worked. For me, it's worked every time. Someone earlier posted using ice to cool and thus shrink the threads a little and then use a rubber sheet to grip and twist it off. I do it differently. I make a block of ice in a food storage container. I then jam the filter into the ice and hold it. The warmth of the filter will melt the ice but if you hold it for a few seconds, it will refreeze. Then you end up with a block of ice affixed to the filter giving you enough leverage to twist off the stuck filter. The only issue left is how to get the filter back off the ice. I use a hairdryer to melt it off. Works everytime.

15. flaxseedoil1000

Mar 10, 2011
    Thx all

Rubber band and channellock = success

If anyone else tries it this way, DO NOT squeeze hard on the channellock.

The rubber band is the gripping power, the channellock is for leverage.

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    ^5

17. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Well, here's a variation on the above. You know the rubber jar lid openers? You know the rest.

18. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    $2 lid opener :thumbup:
    6801387164_9ebd508689.

19. flaxseedoil1000

Mar 10, 2011
    I will look for one of those, I just didn't want to leave to get the darn lens off.