1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Filter sizes vs step up rings

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jziegler, Mar 4, 2013.

1. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    How many filter sizes do other people keep in their bags? I'm trying to decide what to do for filters sizes and step up rings. Here's what I currently have:

I have 52mm and 67 MM circular polarizers from my Nikon days. The 52mm is an old style Nikon filter with a large outer diameter, and the 67mm is a Marumi DHG (not super) so both are high quality filters. I also have a Cokin P style holder with their basic set of grad ND filters and rings for 52, 67, and 77mm filters.

The 52mm filters that I have fit my 9-18 and P14-42 (my least used lens). So the 52mm stays. I don't have any lenses that use the 67mm, although the P100-300 uses that size, so if I ever get that lens, I'd be ready. So, my current thinking is to get a 46-52mm step-up ring, which covers all of my primes, and a 58-67mm step up for the 40-150. I'll skip anything for the O14-42 for now. This would be the most cost effective way to use my current filters for most of my lenses. Is there any significant downside to this? I know that with 4 lenses using 46mm filters, having that size without a step up would be easier, so I might look for that longer term. And for larger sizes, I don't know what lenses I might get, so I'm not sure I should get anything for 58mm until I see what direction I go. Does anyone have any better suggestions for me?

Thanks,
    Jim

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I've standardized on 52mm filters. I have 37- and 46-52mm stepping rings. For my 40-150, I use a 58-52mm step-down ring. No vignetting.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

• Like Like x 1
  3. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Thanks, that simplifies things. I would have expected they would go with a smaller filter size for the 40-150 if a 52mm filter doesn't vignette. But it looks like 58mm is the standard Olympus large size filter ring.

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yeah, 58mm is way overkill for the relatively tiny glass area on the 40-150. Stepping rings are a minor annoyance, but I don't use filters often enough that I'm willing to invest in multiple sizes of high-quality filters. Just make sure to bring a wide rubber band in case that thin Marumi polarizer gets stuck on a stepping ring. :smile:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

5. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I've settled on 58 for 12-35mm; 75mm; 45-150mm; and the upcoming 75-300mm. The smaller diameter lenses like 25mm and 9-18mm step up to 58mm. Bought the ridiculously costly brass Heliopan rings to stave off sticking. They better work or I'll use them as fake monocles for Colonel Klink impressions.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've got 58mm and 46mm. 46 because that natively fits so many m43 lenses. Also, I got a bunch of Panny pinch-caps off eBay and they're all 46mm, so I just use those for any lens under 46mm (with step-up rings) and 58mm for larger and legacy lenses. Also, my Canon lenses for my DSLR are also 58mm. The P100-300 though is the odd duck out. It has 67mm, which is a standard size for some DSLR lenses, but not mine. So, I currently don't have any filters for that one.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Anything up to 49mm gets stepped up to 49mm. Anything up to 67mm gets stepped up to 67mm. Anything over that gets stepped up to 77mm. I also have some 55mm stuff which just gets left at 55mm and not stepped up. Also 40.5mm gets left at 40.5mm. I don't think I can find step-up rings for that rangefinder size to an SLR size.

8. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I've also standardized to the 58mm size. Works well for me. 52mm would probably work too but it vignettes on my 14-150 when I use step down rings.

I settled on a Marumi polarizer, a cheap variable ND and a cheap graduated ND. I use the polarizer mostly, so I spent the most money on it. The other filters only come out for use for very specific situations.

9. Wizard Steve

Wizard Steve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Provence, France
    David Ricketts
    Heliopan does 40.5mm step-up rings to 43mm, 49mm & 52mm. Don't know if that helps.

I'm planning my first filter purchases and as my lenses (all two of them) are 37mm & 46mm, I was thinking of going to 52mm and if I do get anything bigger than that, I'll start on a 58mm set (assuming that's big enough). I'm intrigued by the rumoured Olympus f2.8 zooms though; I may wait to see what size they are before I commit.

My problem is finding a 37mm step up ring I can trust. I had hoped to buy Heliopan rings as I like that they're made from brass. I don't want to buy a cheap ring and then cross-thread my lenses with it. What brands of rings do you guys use?

10. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I don't use filters that much, so I went for step up rings 37-46 and 46-58. My filters are 58 mm, and get used bare on the 40-150mm Oly, with just one step up ring (12mm Oly, 19mm Sigma) or two step up rings combined (45mm Oly). I added a cheap rubber hood that has 3 steps in unfolding. Looks rather ridiculous, but works well enough in most cases.

11. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I'm trying to by some filters and standardise on the 58mm size as my lenses are either 46 or 58mm.

I have been having trouble finding brass 37-46mm or 37-58mm rings in Europe for my Oly 45/1.8.

Does anyone have any suggestions? teamworkphoto.com has most Heliopan filters, hoods, and rings but I don't see the 37mm size.

12. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Brass rings look pretty hard to find. I went with the more common aluminium ones. If you can't find any locally in Europe, B&H does have the 37-46 Heliopan listed in stock, although I don't know how expensive shipping would be, and they are closed for Passover right now.

13. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    I started this thread, and then missed a bunch of the replies to it. My bad...

Good to know on the superzoom, should I ever get one. I wanted to go with the 52mm mostly because I already had a polarizer and Cokin ring for it. I use filters in a similar manner to you, I have a good Polarizer (Nikon in my case), and cheap grad ND (I bought the Cokin set of three). They do the job, although at this point I'm more likely to use HDR instead.

Could you post a link to the rubber hood? The only lenses I have hoods for currrently are the Sigma 19 and Panasonic 14-42, and I don't use the Panasonic. I've been thinking about what hoods to get, as I had a bridge camera saved by a hood when I took a fall on vacation several years ago. he hood got a real nice break in it, but the camera is still working fine (although I gave it to family, it is still used regularly)

14. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I use a 49mm Heliopan JetPol on my Oly 40-150mm on a 58-49mm step down ring with no vignetting

15. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I did some more searching yesterday and found a place in Germany that carries a large selection of Heliopan and B+W filters, including linear polarisers. Their prices look reasonable too. I am going to get a quotation from them, but have no experience with them.

Filter bei Foto Mayr

Photo Digital Camera Equipment in the UK can order in the 37-58 step-up rings and it costs about £10 even though they don't normally carry it.

I'm still not sure to get the Heliopan Vario ND filter or just get a couple of solid filters. I found a couple of good reviews/tests (although for video use):

Heliopan Vario Filter ND Review, Samples & Tips VIDEO | Inspire Video Blog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nECdBiu5Rrw

The only thing I'm a little concerned about is the "X" pattern showing up with the variable ND filters at darker settings.

I really don't need the ND filter here in the UK, as I can't remember when I last saw the sun, but for when I visit the family in Spain and Canada this summer as I'm sure the light will blow out my prime lenses, especially when shooting video at lower shutter speeds.

16. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've got two kits of 52 and 46 (UV, CPL, NDs) most of my lenses are these sizes. I've also got a 37mm polarizer which fits my Oly 14-42 and 45. For my 40-150 which is my only 58mm I use a step-down ring to 52. I also have a Cokin A kit of Neutral grads and Polarizer with adapters to fit 46, 52 and 58.