1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Filter sizes for Micro 4/3

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Paul C, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Paul C

Paul C Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2017
    Good filters are expensive - so choosing one size for your lens collection makes sense.......but which size?

To manage this - you will need
    • to know the filter size of all your lenses
    • some step-up or step-down rings to bring all your lenses to the same final filter size

Step up rings are easy to source as generic versions on shopping websites. My last 49mm to 52mm ring cost only 51 GB pence / 63 USD cents post paid !

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 16.28.24.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Finding the optimal filter size for your lens collection (and for the next lenses you are wanting to buy) has been a lot of effort - but not now. There is a fabulous website run by JD Hodges that has almost all the information that you could ever need on the subject.

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 16.31.54.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 16.33.08.png

Now KD Hodges clearly has an OCD problem - but this is to all our advantages: Can I suggest that you
    1. Check out JD's website Micro Four Thirds Lens Filter Size List (Olympus, Panasonic, etc.)
    2. use the website feedback form to alert JD to any lens you have that is missing

Amateur shooters will probably find that 52mm fits the majority of the basic lens series - the "pro's" might go for 58mm.

Best wishes to you all - and thanks again to JD for his special obsession!!

Paul C in the UK

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. archaeopteryx

archaeopteryx Gambian sidling bush Subscribing Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Unless this conclusion is an attempt to argue lenses such as the 12-60 kit are pro lenses it's poorly supported, both by the subset Hodges selected and the more complete analysis published earlier. Discussion there includes principle components with better support.
    Mmm, I think JD can fill the gaps himself if he chooses to so. If he's OCD I can assure you those of us who are arguably more OCD required only trivial search and data entry skills and not very much time to do the work he's attempting to duplicate by crowdsourcing. ;) 

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I use many adapted lenses yet the vast majority of my lenses are listed on Lens Database
    which gives more information than just filter size too. FWIW it currently has 146 lenses listed as being in micro 4/3 mount many missing from JD's list (which has very few 3rd party lenses).

This can give me the chance to order a stepping ring before any new purchase arrives - something I did with my Industar 61 last month. The lens coming from Russia took a few weeks, which weren't tied up waiting for a cheap 40.5mm stepping ring (from china).

Mind you if its not a particularly obscure size I've already got a suitable stepping ring.
    I use filters quite a lot with my IR cameras. I try & adapt my smaller lenses to both 37mm & 52mm for flexibility with filters. Some of my filters are prohibitively expensive (or not available at all) in sizes a big as 52mm.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  4. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    Check your lens. Mk.2 versions may have a different thread size. Look at your own lens. I just bought an 82mm lenshood for my P15mm. Lucky I had a step up ring! Caveat Emptor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.