1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Filter size larger than lens hood

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Etude, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Etude

Etude Long Exposure Addict

Jun 24, 2013
    Ever since I bought my OMD last year, I shoot entirely without a lens hood. Therefore, I have no real life experience on the advantage of a lens hood. From forums and internet, I know that it helps to prevent lens flare and serves as a lens protection.

I recently bought the 12-40mm. I am going to buy ND filters for my 12-40mm for landscape/cityscape photos. I am thinking of buying the standard filter size (77mm) due to a couple of reasons (can be used for future lens sizes; easier to sell etc…)

However, its means that I will not be able to use the 12-40mm lens hood together with the 77mm ND filters. Does the ND filter fulfill the purposes/advantages of the lens hood or is it better and advisable to use both together to achieve better landscape photos.

Seeking kind advice and many thanks in advance.

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    To answer your question - no, the filter will not fulfill the same roll as the hood. In fact, due to the added risk of flare and other oddities that come with using filters (even good ones) I'd be more inclined to use the hood.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a 'standard' filter size? 77mm isn't the standard and it seems like a waste to oversize on what would be a pretty big filter anyway. The normal 62mm filter for the 12-40mm will fit basically anything in Micro Four Thirds with the appropriate step-down ring.

My advice, spend your money on a good 62mm filter and use the hood religiously.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Etude

Jun 24, 2013
    Thanks for your reply and input!
    It was through a quick conversation with a sales staff that I was told 77mm is the "general standard" size.

Here hoping the upcoming wide zoom from Olympus will not go beyond 62mm.

4. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    If only! My filter collection includes (from memory) 40.5, 46, 52, 62, 68, 72 and 77.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Beware quick conversations with people trying to sell you things...

I think in the land of big Canon/Nikon lenses, quite a few have 77mm filters. In Micro Four Thirds none do...

• Like Like x 1
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    There are a lot of 82mm ones too.

Unfortunately, lens companies no longer make any effort to standardize on filter sizes. Thus Olympus has built m4/3 lenses using 37, 40.5, 46, 52, 58 and 62 mm filters, and Panasonic 37, 46, 52, 58, 62 and 67 mm ones.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Right, an ND filter and hood serve two different purposes. A straight-up ND filter is helpful if you want to shoot at a wide-open aperture in bright light and you would be overexposed at max shutter speed and low ISO, or if you want to do a long exposure photo to blur water/cloud movement, etc. A graduated ND filter can help in landscape photos where there is a significant exposure difference between the sky and land.

77mm seems way too large for any m4/3 lens, I'd either get one set of filters for your largest lens (62mm?) and some step-up rings to use them on the other lenses, or consider investing in different filters for different lenses so you can use them with lens hoods. For many of the m4/3 primes, 37mm and 46mm are common filter sizes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I use a DSLR as well as micro 4/3, and none of my many lenses take 77mm filters.
    The Bigmos takes 86mm filters, but most are 58mm or smaller (right down to 25mm).

I'm sure their 'standard size' is more to do with the largest (most profit) in their standard stock.

Using a hood is more important with filters, lens often have their optical elements slightly recessed while the filter is right on the front and coatings on filters are often not as good as on the lenses.

Fold up rubber hoods that screw into the filter threads will work OK for most lenses (very wide angles can be a problem). They are not quite as good at reducing flare as one custom designed for the lens, but can be particularly useful if your using larger filters.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Etude

Jun 24, 2013
    Thanks all for your great inputs! Have also learn quite a lot.
    I have decided to buy 62mm ND filters. :)

10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    He might not have had any 62mm NDs in stock that day.

Fred