1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Filter Options?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by chrism_scotland, Jul 30, 2011.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Been struggling a little with very bright sunlight here in Scotland and been wondering about using ND filters to try and help my shots, mainly using Canon FD lenses (24mm and 50mm) although I also have an Olympus 17mm and looking to add one of a Panasonic 14/20 or 14-45mm lenses also.

If I were to go for square filters would the smaller 85mm size ones be enough? I remember having to look at 100mm filters previously for ultra wide lenses on my Sony/Pentax such as the Sigma 10-20 but I guess this wouldn't be an issue on a m4/3 body unless I was using the 7-14 or 9-18 lenses?

2. Vripper

Vripper Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 3, 2011
    Did you find a solution?

3. Wormwood

Wormwood Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    ...very bright sunlight here in Scotland....

Priceless.

Wormwood

4. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I haven't bought any filters but I'm still looking, and yes Wormwood its been very sunny this summer.... in between the rain!

5. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    The Coken P-series are perfect for micro four thirds. I used them on lenses as wide as the 9-18mm Olympus zoom and there was no vignetting with even the standard 3-slot holder. Note that you can also get a single slot "wide angle" holder in the 84mm P-series size.

If you still have any 1.5x crop cameras then you will find the P-series a bit tight for wide angle work on those cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  6. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks Peter, I was hoping the Cokin P size would be fine as I can get them much cheaper than the larger Lee Filters I had before, I only have MFT these days so I don't need to worry about anything wider!