Filter for olympus 75mm f1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by snappyantz, Aug 16, 2012.

1. snappyantz

snappyantz New to Mu-43

Aug 16, 2012
    Hi, would like to ask if any of the folks here who own this lens use any UV/protection filter with it?
    If yes, does it cause any (flare) reflection issues?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    All filters create some kind of flare. How much or how little depends on the quality of the filter being used.
  3. las Palm as

las Palm as Mu-43 Regular

uv, no but if you want shoot on a sunny day with f1.8 you need nd filters. Bw are goods
  4. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    A hood will help with flare and offer much better protection than a filter.

The only time filters really protect against anything are in blowing sand or salt spray or the like. They offer essentially zero protection in drops since they shatter much more easily than the front element, and in doing so, expose your front element to hundreds of small shards of sharp glass that it otherwise wouldn't have been exposed to.

The front elements in these lenses are quite tough, and the impact reduction from a thin little filter is essentially nothing...there's no crumple zone.

Can you tell I only use UV filters in blowing sand or water?

Now, polarizers and NDs? Yup...B+W and Hoya MRC are generally what I buy.
  5. snappyantz

snappyantz New to Mu-43

Aug 16, 2012
    Thanks for all the response , I am also in the thoughts of just having the hood but always wanted a secondary protection
    Guess I can leave the filter out for now
  6. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

I put a UV filter on mine right away - the front element is large and right at the front edge of the lens, so it's only a matter of time before I touch it, smear gunk across it, get water on it, etc.

I got a Hoya HMC filter and haven't noticed any reflections yet.

I will second the suggestion of a ND filter, though, if you want to shoot at the wider apertures during bright days. (And if you're going to use the ND, I'd always recommend taking the UV off instead of stacking them...probably obvious, but figured I'd throw it out there anyway.)
  7. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

I'd like the hood myself, and would probably stop worrying about the UV filter as much if I had one. However, Oly's asking price for the hood is obscene; I'll wait for a 3rd party one to show up on eBay.