filter for nocticron

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by my06wagon, Jun 14, 2015.

1. my06wagon

my06wagon Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2014
    I have just purchased a nocticron which I could not resist. How strong of an nd filter is required to shoot wide open during day time. Could I get away with just a polarizer

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Probably not, I need an ND4 for my PL25 f/1.4, most polarisers only lose 1-2 stops.

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
  4. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I shoot wide open all day long with my EM-5 II no problem. What camera are you using?

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oh yeah... that was with the 1/4000s only E-M5. E-P5, E-M1, E-M5 Mk2 have 1/8000s mechanical, many cameras have 1/16000s electronic shutter so you might be able to scrape by. It also depends how bright it is where you are I suppose. There's no way I could do that in NZ summer, even at 1/8000s.

6. my06wagon

my06wagon Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2014
    I am using a GX7. Selling the em5 mk2 plus other bits too fund this purchase even though the lens has already been used. I realised after closely inspecting the lens their are very minor glue marks from the hood. What are other nocticron ow ers doing to remedy this problem. Are they still using the hood or an alernative no hood at all.

7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    With 1/8000s speed 4 stop ND filter should be enough - unless you're shooting in snowfield.
    I had nocticron lens for short time and noticed same glue marks. My ultimate dealing with that was to return it and use funds to get 35-100/f2.8

8. my06wagon

my06wagon Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2014
    Ah sweet. Thats for the advice I am still a noob at this. Still alot to learn as I am just getting in to this as a hobby.

9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    This is a tool I like to quickly make this kind of comparison: http://www.endoflow.com/exposure/

EDIT: I agree with 4 stops, then it depends if you need an high shutter speed (I doubt considering the lens) and if you want to use ISO 100 or not.

EDIT: if shooting at ISO 100 and 1/8000 two stops could be barely enough in all situations excepts snow and bright sand.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  10. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Get yourself an 8 stop vari-nd filter. They aren't that expensive and you can easily rotate it to add the amount of ND required. I use vary-nd filters a LOT in aerial work.

For photography the extra shutter speed will get you by with fewer stops.

For video, even with 8 stops you could find yourself struggling for wide open at times. I'm often using 4 stops to get to f5.6 or f8, so get to wide open on the nocti you could easily need the extra 4 stops.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  11. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I'm looking to taking some portraits during magic hour/sunny late afternoons. I want to shoot wide open with my Nocticron at 1.2. Do I need a ND filter? I see most use ND filters for
    portraits or landscapes what about people?

Any ideas? If so what stops?

12. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Just try and see if you need one and of which value :)

13. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    That was the alternative. I was just trying to avoid buying something I don't need. Oh well I guess I'm the only one to shoot portrait with a ND filter on.

Good thing Amazon has a great return policy.

14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think 3 stops should be plenty since GX7 goes to 1/8000. 3 stops makes it effectively a f3.3 for exposure purposes.

15. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    No, wait. I mean: try without the filter. Go in the places you want to shoot, at the time you prefer and see what shutter speed you get. If this is above 1/8000 close the aperture until you reach 8000 or 4000 to have some margin.
    That is the ND filter value you need. I suppose that at the golden hour with ISO 100 and 1/8000 you probably do not need one either.

16. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    No worries I ordered 2 sets for my Pany 25 1.4 and Nocticron 1.2. wide open @ 1/8000 comes out great. I just wanted to see if adding ND filters would make that much of a difference at the beach.
    I'm sure it will and keep the hilights from getting blown out.

Thank you for your replies

17. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    You shouldn't need an ND to shoot at 1.2 at golden hour. Noon on a sunny summer day? Yeah, but not near sunset.

For landscapes NDs are usually used for one of two reasons:
    1. To allow use of very slow shutter speeds to blur water
    2. Graduated ND to darken the sky to reduce dynamic range/scene contrast

For portraits, generally, the only reason you would want an ND would be to make sure you're not hitting the max shutter speed and overexposing.

18. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    I shoot with B+W XS-Pro ND filters. One is a 0.9ND and the other is a 1.8ND which translates into a 3 stop and a 6 stop. The reason for the 3 stop filter is just for when things are too bright and I want to slow down the shutter. The 6 stop is for when I want to work with off camera flash/strobe and want the background to be less bright/overexposed.

19. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I love :love: the lens too much to let a crappy hood deter me from using it. I got mine at the beginning of the year (2015) and both lens and hood were immaculate. I took the hood off after 2 months and saw tiny glue spots on the len barrel in several places and can see the spots inside the hood where it's seeping out. I used an Artgum eraser to rub the glue spots off the lens and it did not mark the lens barrel in any way. You can get Artgum erasers at just about any store that sells artist supplies. As for the hood, it's back in the box the lens came in and I got a replacement hood from Ebay for $10 that works great.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/361272080630?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
    PS, I also have 2 ND filters, a 3 stop and a 6 stop. They can be used as a single or together for 9 stops (beach).

20. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I definitely need the ND filter for the Nocticron for portraits outside during the day. I bought the Hoya 3 stop filter to start out with. I may not get to f1.2 on the brightest days but I am hoping this covers me for the majority of my needs. I am considering getting a good polarizer too and the combination may be enough for the brightest days. The E-P5 gives me the low (~100) iso and 1/8000 shutter speed which helps.