1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Filter for in-flight pictures?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by -Dan-, Nov 26, 2013.

1. -Dan-

-Dan- Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    I occasionally have the opportunity to shoot from a good perspective from an airplane but often have issues with the glare on the windows. On somewhat reoccurring routes, I know where I can sit to get very good sight of the approaching city and/or landmarks.

Are there particular filters recommended to minimize the glare and reflection? Sometimes the windows are so old and scratched that there's probably not too much that can be improved, or can there be anything done? However, often I primarily have to deal just with the reflection in the window

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I have found that a rubber hood pressed to the window works well in museums. Not sure why an airplane would be any different.

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    This, plus hand shielding additional reflections that cannot be blocked out by the hood when shooting at a sharp angle against the window...

4. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    • Like Like x 2
  5. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    • Like Like x 1
  6. -Dan-

-Dan- Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    Great, thanks a lot!

7. Trinurse

Trinurse Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    I polarizer is the minimum and maybe an ND filter. Meter for the bright spots, watch for reflections off the aircraft surfaces, and remember a fast shutter speeds as it (the aircraft) is moving quickly.

8. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Don't use a polarizer. The plastic on the inside of the window is already polarized, so if you use a filter as well you get these weird interference patterns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece

+1

10. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    No filter really required, I recommend bracketing though, and just hoping for a clean window (which is half the battle). Although this wasn't taken on m4/3 it was taken with my 12-60 on my E5. 5 Shot HDR (handheld of course) from the seat of my flight landing in Seattle in January of 2013...the colors are just about accurate to what it looked like. Best shot I ever took out an airplane window.

P1145456-Edit-20130114-XL.

• Like Like x 3
  11. otaillon

otaillon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    What that is an impressive shot!

12. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    +2

What works well for me is a little more aggressive curves adjustment (a-shaped) in post to get rid of a bit of the haze often induced by atmospheric conditions.

13. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Back in the film days, I used to use some sort of Tiffen UV High-Altitude Haze filter over one of my lenses when shooting out plane windows. The problem wasn't so much the haze, as much as the poor transmission of those windows!

I don't really know if those Tiffen filters actually made much of a difference. I always enhance my photos on the computer or in the darkroom anyway.