Filter advice for 12-40 pro

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dlhomesolutions, Sep 9, 2016.

1. dlhomesolutions

dlhomesolutions Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Hi, I am taking the 12-40 pro on a Europe bike trip and it will probably get wet. I want a really good UV filter that will not reduce image quality. Any recommendations?

2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    The 12-40 is weather proof. What I would invest in is some quality micro fiber towels to wipe the glass. What THAT, I can help you.
  3. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    I have a B+W XS-Pro Digital UV filter for my 12-40, and I don't notice any image degradation. Yes, the lens is weather sealed, but I like how the nano coating on the filter beads up the water and the drops just roll right off.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. dlhomesolutions

dlhomesolutions Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    I have done that before when I went to Niagara Falls but the minerals in the water dried and left spots on the lens that I could only get off with alcohol.
  5. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    Same here but I chose the B&W Clear Filter because I have a full spectrum IR modified E-P5 camera in my bag and I feared the UV Filter might cause problems with an IR Camera. Maybe some more experienced photographer could inform me if I'm off base in this opinion?
    PS, I too love the Nano Coating shedding water!
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Why not get a circular polarizer filter instead, which at least has the potential to improve image quality while also covering your front element? You lose some light transmission, but it's not going to be raining indoors in low light, so you can just take it off and not worry about it, and outside you won't need to worry about the light loss.

Pretty much anything from Hoya, Marumi, B+W, even Cokin should suit fine. I'm sure there are also lower budget options that work as well.
  7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    But those kids and dogs..!
  8. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Yes, clear is what you want it's specifically designed just to protect your lens front element.

schneideroptics (B+W) website

They are by no means cheap, but I have one on the front of every one of my lenses.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    The filter I have is the clear model - 007M. It's the same model that DanS mentioned, I just bought mine from Amazon (hence the Amazon link in my post).
  10. crlund

crlund Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2016
  11. WRay

WRay Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
  12. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    I would 3rd the B+W xs-pro filters, if you are patient you can find them for very good prices on ebay. The others I like are the Kenko Pro1d series, they compare very well to their more expensive brethren and again can be found very cheap on ebay.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 21, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Jersey devil

Jersey devil Mu-43 Regular

Mar 5, 2015
  15. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    I use the Hoya HD filter as well, in Australia these are about $80.00 depending on where you buy them. They are supposed to be better than the pro series.

One thing to remember is that there is only about 2mm from the front of the lens to the end of the filter thread, so what ever filter you purchase the rear of the glass should be level with the step between the male and female threads. I have seen posts where some filters have touched the front element and marked it. I think these were magnifying lenses where the glass is thinker and nearly level with the end of the male threads but worth noting.

16. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    If you're concerned about the filter contacting the front element, use a piece of lens cleaning tissue between the front element and filter the first time you screw it on. You will see the tissue start to distort in the middle if the glass surfaces are going to touch. You then know that filter shouldn't be used with that lens.
  17. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    This is sorta like religion and I'm not a member of the Church of Filters. (I don't wear a belt AND suspenders either :) ) IMO... the lens is weather sealed so the main problem is keeping rain drops off the glass. Best way to do that is use a good hood and keep the lens horizontal. Have something handy to dry the glass if it does get wet. Maybe use something like a shower cap between shots.
  18. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    I am living in Holland. Much rain here. I bike a lot and bring my 12-40.
    I never take other precautions than a proper bag.
    For protection I have a Hoya prootection fiter. Once my tripod with this lens tipped over on a stone underground. Someone up there guided the front of my lens to a small surface of soft sand.
    It gave a whole new meaning to: seeing the light....
    • Funny Funny x 1