1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Filmmaking: good resources to get started?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Klorenzo, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Hi, yesterday a friend of mine, involved in a stage play, told me that they do not have any good footage of their shows, probably just something shot on a smartphone. So I thought that maybe I could give it a try. We are talking about something to put on Facebook/Youtube.

And I realized that I know about nothing about filmmaking except for a few minor technical details. I'm thinking about framing, video editing, audio recording, tripod vs handheld, when if ever to zoom or use AF, etc. And all the others topic I'm missing out completely.

So I'm starting to look for something on youtube but any quality, thorough starting point is welcome (video or text or even books). I'm not even sure if it's better to look for filmmaking, videography or just video.

My camera is an E-M10 with a few lenses but I'm worried more about the "trade" than about the gear, even if understanding if more then one camera is mandatory or external audio recording would be nice, or if it's bad to mix video from different sources, like 1080p with 720p or Oly H.264 with Pana AVCHD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    DVXuser.com

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Whatever you, get a decent external microphone, even if it's more the budget end of something like a Rode VideoMic Go or Micro. (The Olympus SEMA-1 adapter does supply Plug-in power for those kind of mics up to 10v, those mics need 3v at most).

Though just now I looked up the E-M10... doesn't have an accessory port and far as I can tell doesn't have a mic input either... I guess the other option is using an external recorder like a Zoom H1, and just syncing the audio in post.

But basically in my opinion, poor audio can break an excellent video.

• Like Like x 1
  4. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I've found that a Tascam D60 with the Rhode Video Mic Pro/Dead Cat works very well especially since you can attach the camera to it. Most new M43 lenses are silent so you can put the mic on the hot shoe and not get focusing noise. For background sound like environmental sounds I've found that my Gx8 mics do a pretty good job.

5. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I have a dr60mkii coming for my em5 to use with my rode SVM, but I at least have a sema 1 adapter.

Looking up the em10, there's no way to plug a mic in, or even the camera/line out from a recorder , especially as it has no accessory port or mic input.

6. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Before I got plural eyes I just made sure I made a lot noise (hand clap) to sync with.

7. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    One of the reasons I decided to go with the dr60mkii myself (aside from being a good preamp for my low output mic) was the slate feature which exhibits a tone in the signal that is recorded on both the device and camera which I can sync easily later in resolve or premier .

But the hand clap is a good idea if you can't plug in, the waveform should be easily noticed with the peaks.

8. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Far as mixing video sources , it all depends on how you slice it up, I've used older lower resolution videos in conjunction with a 4k slideshow with good results since the appearance doesn't hurt much if it's well planned with good transitions and overall good quality for the main feed.

:p I would have done that since most my lens are MSC (Movie/Still Compatible)... however you can't mount it in the hot shoe when you have to use the SEMA-1 adapter for microphone input anyways.

Edit: Why does the E-M10 listed with having a 3.5mm mic jack, but not the E-M10 Mk II?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016