1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Filming Wedding-Have a question

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by aonavy, Dec 6, 2012.

1. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    I'm doing a couples wedding and thought it would be a good Idea to go to the rehearsal dinner and get to know faces. Ive read its a good idea to go if I can.

I was wondering should I bring a camera? What should do? Eat? dont eat?

Just want to get some perspective of what other people do

Thanks for the input

2. rboate

rboate Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2012
    I no longer do many weddings but when I did, I would always attend the rehearsal so I knew the order of the ceremony and all the players. I have only been to a few dinners and then only if I knew the couple well.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Is this couple friends of yours, or is this strictly a business transaction? If strictly business, I would ask the bride and groom if they would like you to photograph the rehearsal dinner as part of the package, and see what they say. I wouldn't plan on eating unless they suggest it.

But, like rboate, when I did weddings I attended the rehearsal, and not the dinner, except when I was shooting for friends and was invited by them.

If they are friends, I'd follow pretty much the same guidance, but instead of just asking, you might suggest that attending the dinner would be a good way for you to get to know faces.

4. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    I'm just getting into the biz of shooting weddings, this is my first one. I'm doing a few for free to build a portfolio and there one of them. I mentioned Id like to go to the dinner so I would know faces. They said I could eat if Id like and told them id probably wont but who knows.

I'm thinking about just popping in there (hehe i typed "pooped" in there at first) and say hi and leave., I'm not sure though.

5. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    Maybe ill asked when there rehearsal is then. Thats a good idea.

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If this is a freebie, then I think you're entitled to a free meal, especially since the wedding party mentioned it first.

• Like Like x 1
  7. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    its a been a few months but Ive been super insane busy. I figured Id follow up with a highlight video.
    https://vimeo.com/56559033

This was a lot of fun. I was well prepared and went into this with confidence. Only issue was the ceremony was dark! DARK!!! I did the best i could giving the lighting.

Let me know what you think