1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Film to mFT

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by sinclair, Mar 4, 2013.

1. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Howdy, I'm new to this all digital photography. I was a hobbyist photographer with a Canon AE-1, until film got hard to find, and cost too much to develop (It also didn't help that my wife left me, thus loosing my main subject.). After close to a decade of not doing much except with a Kodak point and shoot, a steam locomotive came into my town. I pulled my AE-1 out, stuck a decade old roll of ISO400 Fuji and enjoyed the afternoon taking shots. Of course the film developed really poorly, but I was smitten again with the photo bug. I wanted to have the use of my Canon FL/FD lenses, but didn't find much info about doing so with the big boys, and they cost too much too. Then I learned about mFT, but didn't have the money to enter. Then my Google reader feed showed me a post on how Newegg had a Panasonic GF5 kit on sale half price, and I bit. Now I'm here because Google seems to tell me this is the happening place for a mFT user, and I have questions about using the equipment and processing the RAW.

• Like Like x 3
  2. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Welcome to the forum - loads of good info on here, friendly discussions and stunning shots to look at.

I also jumped from film to micro 4/3 and I'm having so much fun both learning to optimise my camera and learning to post process shots on the. PC rather than using the darkroom.

3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    All that is needed for you to use your Canon lenses is an adapter that adds the correct distance so the lens resolves at the same distance. They are fairly inexpensive ($15-25), and allow you to use all that wonderful older glass you have. Just search Canon Fd-m43 adapter on ebay/amazon/etc. The only thing that changes is that since the sensor in your GF5 is roughly half the size of a frame of film, the field of view for your lenses change. Your camera only sees the center 50%, or about the same view as a lens 2x as long. So your 50mm lens on your GF5 gives you roughly the same view as a 100mm on your Canon (I say roughly because the m4/3 sensor is more square than a film frame, but not by much).

4. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Already got it and love using it. You can check out my complete list on my profile, if I did it right.

What I need now is tutes on how to do RAW processing. As for software, I've got what came with the camera installed on my MacBook, and messed with it last night. Have no clue what anything was, or what I was doing.

5. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    On no... Silky Pix? demo CaptureOne, Aperture or Lightroom. Does Aperture come with Mac products? If it does use that. I tried using Silky, but that user interface is just looney to me. I use a alot of FD lenses, and I find the vibrance controls will be your friend.

I notice you're using an old flash, you may want to pick up a voltage adapter so you don't fry out the insides of your camera. I suggest the wein, it allows for full use of PC AND hotshoe, most adapters is PC OR hotshoe.

Good choice with the AE-1 though, love my little old lady. Look up Adox CHS 20 for some great B+W film if you're ever feeling nostalgic, it'll be availible in north america again from freestyle sometime in march. It's a small batch film from the Denmark. Great stuff.

6. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

About the flashes, they're for the Canon. The GF5 doesn't have a hotshoe. That's about the only con I give it for now, I wish I could use my dual head flash. It also can angle the top head. The flash on the GF5 is okay, as long as I remember to pull the hood off of the lens. It casts a shadow! A flaw in the kit that they fail to mention in the manual, "Remove the lens hood if you use the flash else the hood casts a shadow on your subject."

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Sinclair, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

Jim

8. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Welcome! Unlike the early days of digital, we can do much between capture and post processing to get some of the look we valued in film.

Have fun!

9. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Any good reads out there on the whole RAW post processing process on a Mac, not just with the big names? I'd like to learn what all my options are, what I should be doing in post processing, and best practices. I know enough to be shooting in RAW, so why am I doing it, and how can I use it type of info.

• Like Like x 1
  10. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    There are lots and lots of references out there on RAW processing and why you would or would not do it. You can shoot jpg for awhile to get feel for what the camera gives you and if you can't get the "look" you want then it's probably time to start processing RAW.

My favorite program is Adobe Lightroom (About $150) and it runs on a Mac but some Mac folks prefer Apple Aperture. Both are organizers as well as editors and once you start shooting digital then the need for "catalog management" rears its ugly head. Such programs give you that.

Both Aperture and Lightroom are photographer oriented programs and make editing quicker and easier for "traditional" photo manipulation than things like Photoshop -- however, they give up the ability to do many things Photoshop can do so it's all in what you want.

I'm a "straight photography" person for the most part (though not a purist by any means) so Lightroom handles what I need and there are plug-ins for the rest (like photo-realistic HDR for example).

I recently tried to explain how I'm striving for the Ektachrome look in my photos in this post -- but I doubt it's real helpful to you. Find some references you like online but most of them will be specific to whatever RAW processing program you use.