Film Processing Woes

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Apr 14, 2015.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Some time back, I exposed two rolls of B&W film to test out my Kodak Retina 1B and Olympus Trip 35 film cameras. Nearly a month ago, I sent the two rolls for processing in Melbourne to a developer that states a two week turnaround.

Last week I emailed the processor and asked them what's happened to my film and received a response saying that they outsource their B&W processing and the processor waits until they have five or more rolls to process. Today I received an email from the company (I use that term loosely) asking me what type of film did I send them, 'Was it Tri-X'.

The two film canisters are clearly labelled as to the type of film 'Fomapan 200 Creative - B&W 35mm Film'. I've now asked for a refund and told them to bin the negatives, as I doubt that they will even be able to properly process the negatives.

I should have bought colour negative film, as at least it's cheaper to buy, process and processors are far more readily available. What an absolute joke.

2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Use digital! :D

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I was trying to be nostalgic and re-live a past era, as a reminder of what we no longer need to do in terms of buying film, exposing it, getting it processed and then printed or converted to digital. I've come back to earth with a thud. :(

4. Vinpocetine

Vinpocetine Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2014
    Nice customer service :blush:. You probably know this, but if you're doing any kind of B&W film work beyond a roll or two a year, you're best off developing it in your sink. It's cheaper and easier than most people think. Does take some time though.

Another option is to shoot XP2, which is C-41. But some might argue against the authenticity of C-41 for black and white or whatever :).

I had an affair with a Mamiya C330F a while back, so I feel your pain... then there's the scanning side which is an even bigger disaster IMO, especially for 120.

And yet I just today bought a OM-1 for a project, what was a thinking!

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Yes, I was aware of that, but I just wanted a quick and dirty to see how well the two cameras worked before considering whether to continue. I think that my nostalgia has been well and truly nipped in the bud.

6. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I switched to XP2 for similar reasons, but the quality of some of the scans I've had back have been dreadful...

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    What I find so sad about this saga is that there are groups that supposedly want to keep film alive, yet completely drop the ball when it comes to doing what they profess. I've been holding off on a blog post for months now, waiting to put together the digital and analogue results, only to find out that I've effectively wasted my time.

8. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Care to name and shame the company so that others do not get burnt the same way that you did??

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I'll wait until I have final resolution of my dispute. I should have started the dispute at the two week mark, which was the agreed turnaround time, instead of allowing another week, as eBay extends the time for the seller to respond by further week. I still haven't received the film.

10. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    I didn't notice this thread at the time however I wanted to mention that I could probably suggest a much better place to send your film to if you do decide to shoot any more

11. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Yes Ray - any update on how this turned out?

12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've just decided to do a bit of film photography and have picked up a cheap OM1 with 50 and 28 mm lenses. My plan is to develop it myself (that'll bring back memories) which is really quite easy. The scanning though I see as the main issue - a good quality scanner isn't cheap. I'm thinking that I could maybe rig up a light box and photograph the negs using my OM1 - but that sort of sounds like a crazy journey really! I can't see film being more than a bit of nostalgic dabbling - digital is really superior to film in almost every way.

• Like Like x 1
  13. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    Well there is always the Lomo scanner:

http://shop.lomography.com/us/smartphone-scanner