film practice!

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Kosta, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Hi team!

you may probably think this should belong to rff or somewhere like that, but I like this forum and would rather share my images here!

been practicing with b&w and complete manual exposure (that means no lightmeter!) and have just been developing the stuff at home myself; it has been highly enjoyable whilst being scientific.

here are a couple from the last roll, taken at my grandpa's on the weekend.

<a href="" title="20110605_Tri-X400_70.jpg by Kosta., on Flickr">"640" height="629" alt="20110605_Tri-X400_70.jpg"></a>

<a href="" title="20110605_Tri-X400_48.jpg by Kosta., on Flickr">"640" height="568" alt="20110605_Tri-X400_48.jpg"></a>

<a href="" title="20110605_Tri-X400_45.jpg by Kosta., on Flickr">"640" height="413" alt="20110605_Tri-X400_45.jpg"></a>

<a href="" title="20110605_Tri-X400_62.jpg by Kosta., on Flickr">"413" height="640" alt="20110605_Tri-X400_62.jpg"></a>

any hints or tips about how you set exposure (in your head, sans meter) would be welcome!:2thumbs:

• Like Like x 4
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Firstly and most importantly remember the "Rule-of-Thumb" for exposure is "Sunny 16":

In Bright Sunlight set your aperture to f/16 and your shutter speed should reflect the reciprocal of the ASA/ISO. So if you're shooting Tri-X, ASA 400 your shutter speed will be 1/400 or there abouts (1/500).

Aperture ---------- Lighting Conditions ---------- Shadow Detail
    f/22 ---------------- Snow/Sand-------------------- Dark with sharp edges
    f/16 ---------------- Sunny ------------------------- Distinct
    f/11 ---------------- Slight Overcast --------------- Soft around edges
    f/8 ----------------- Overcast ---------------------- Barely visible
    f/5.6 --------------- Heavy Overcast -------------- No shadows
    f/4 ----------------- Open Shade/Sunset ---------- No shadows

Add One Stop Backlighting n/a

Those are your baselines ... after a few hundred rolls of outdoors lighting you'll be able to judge indoor lighting (like mmmh ... this looks about half as much light as a heavy overcast day ... so f/4 ... et cetera.)

PS- I like the dust and water spots ... lol ... how are you drying the negs ... are you using a wetting agent?
    • Like Like x 4
  3. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    film! What is that? No, seriously I like your photos. There is something magical to me about black & white film photos. I used to develope black & white film myself---I can still remember the smells of those chemicals sometimes. I like those smells. I like all of your windows to the past!!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England

Your age is screaming out to us from this post, you old press photog you....

PS> You probably beat several of us old f*rts to the punch with your answer...

PPS> One of the advantages of being among the old is, with a little speed you can still beat the rest of us OF's.... even though you're an OF.

PPPS> Understanding or knowing the EV system is pretty helpful too...

Good answer by the way....

Thanks, makes this board what it is, answers at your fingertips or keyboard as it were.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Thanks G! that's what I've been working off in my head! I have been using a Kodak wetting agent for drying and then just hanging them off a coat hanger with a couple of clothes pegs! I think the dust may be more from the flatbed scanner than the film....

To be honest I don't think you should be smelling some of those developing chems... specially the fixer, whoa that is corrosive!
    Glad you are enjoying the nostalgia:)

P.s. Isn't every photo a window to the past? :cool:
  6. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I would really recommend a handheld incident meter. They are easy to use and very quick--you usually only need one reading for each situation. After sometime, it will teach you to judge light levels. Some meters do not even require batteries--Sekonic Studio Deluxe, for example.
  7. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    I will look it up, but i imagine using my e-pl1 would just about cover that? (if I could be bothered lugging two cameras around)
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I second Hikari on a handheld meter, second-hand they are less than $100 and the newer ones also have Flash metering.

Dry your negs in the bathroom/shower as there is less dust there than any other room in the house.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Thanks for the advice guys :)

the sun's out today and i'm loaded with ektar100! woohoo
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    BTW- Remember to squeegee the negs after you hang them. Using the index and middle finger is all you need to do. You really shouldn't have any water marks.

• Like Like x 1
  11. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Nice shots. I use my iPhone Light Meter app as a... light meter. Works great, and it's free. No need to buy something separate if you already have an iPhone.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Thanks, I did try the light meter app but I didn't find it too great to be honest... I'll give it another whirl, maybe if it spot metered i would like it! it's probably better for outdoor shots i think.
  13. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    With GaryAyala and Hikari for the hand meter. Sekonic Studio DL ok, a cute and compact alternative is Gossen's Sixtomat, common and affordable at least in Europe (
  14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I have a Minolta IV ... I did find my old Sekonic Studio Deluxe but its missing the white bulb thingie.
  15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Thanks for sharing. Great shots.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    If you haven't already, you might want to check out the Film Photography Podcast, its fun.

I am just learning my Yashcia TLR's A, C, D, 124G, 44
    Its hard to pick just one : )

I am keeping a 120 Film set here. I am also working on metering.
    120 Film - a set on Flickr

I also kinda like filmwasters as well podcast

There is an App called "Pocket Light Meter" that I like a tad better than Light Meter Free
    • Like Like x 2
  17. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    This is probably my favourite shot on film and was taken entirely manually on a Pentax MX.

Shot on Fuji Superia 400 using 'Sunny 16' and a bit of guesstimation to expose for the shadows!

• Like Like x 2