1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Film Developing 4x6 (cropping)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by mach330, Apr 26, 2011.

1. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    so i recently started developing my photos on 4x6 and a lot of my heads were cut off. lol...I'm guessing I need to crop this myself since camera is taken by 4:3? or should i just start going back more when I take a pix?

2. I guess you need to adjust your aspect ratio to suit your desired viewing medium. If 3:2 is your preferred ratio it might pay to either set the camera to shoot at 3:2, or to crop your shots down in post-processing before printing them.

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Most of the online developing places have an option where, if the aspect ratio of your image does not match the aspect ratio of the print, they will fill that area with black or white. Different places call it different things.

But your best results are going to be with what Luckypenguin suggested. I suggest changing the aspect ratio in-camera. That way, you'll be composing your shots with the right aspect ratio.

4. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    thx for the suggestions. so if i want to print mostly 4x6, i should change to 3:2 ratio? what print size is 4:3 ratio good for? 5x7?

5. 8" x 6" is the same as the native m4/3 aspect ratio. 5" x 7" is somewhere in the middle.

6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    If you want 5x7 prints you should stick with native ratio (3:4) but you will need to do some cropping in post.

7. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    I'm shooting raw and I didnt see it change. Im guessing I just need to change when I convert.

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I find it is best to selectivelly crop the photos and save them in a folder for lab printing. That way you can choose to keep the best bits or lost bad bits from each photo. It takes time but ... the other option, or having the lab add black bars each side, can look not so good.

9. You have an Olympus, right? If you load the ORF files into Olympus Master 2 you'll see that the entire 4:3 frame is captured, but if you have selected a different aspect ratio in the camera there will be a cropping window visible at the selected ratio. If you convert the images in Olympus Master it will apply the crop to the image. I don't know if the different aspect ratios are recognised by other software. Jpegs from the camera will definitely be in the selected aspect ratio.

10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I have my camera set to 2:3 and raw. I frame for 2:3 but get a 4:3 raw image if I need to print on other paper sizes. Works for me, but may not suit some.

Gordon

11. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    yeah I got olympus. I guess I can use the olympus viewer to crop. looks like if you do raw it doesn't matter about your crop settings. at least i don't see it changing.

12. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    MPIX.com will print in the correct 4:3 ratio. I wub me some MPIX.

They'll also print square and so on.

Honestly, though? I couldn't tell the lustre prints from the non-lustre prints.

13. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    i did print from mpix. i did not see that 4:3 ratio. is that an option?

14. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    But the metallic prints are gorgeous ... for the right images.