Film cameras advice: OM or FD?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dayou14, Sep 3, 2011.

1. dayou14

dayou14 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    Hi Friends,

Through my M43 bodies and adapters I now have OM and FD lenses and both are good.

Thinking of getting a film camera to experiment with (actually, to go back to the film days would be more accurate), and was wondering what your advice on a body might be?

I've narrowed it to OM and FD cameras as I already have lenses for these. I look at the range of options out there, and honestly have trouble deciding. Thanks for showing the way.

Bian

2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I believe as a rule the OM bodies will be smaller. I had the OM-1 and OM-2s - the latter had Auto exposure. The size is virtually identical to an E-P1. Very solid cameras. Can't comment on the Canons.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    OM-1 = Good choice

4. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Look at the OM-4T or OM-4Ti, same camera but named different for different parts of the world (not the OM-4); you may not want to go back to digital. the 4T's have an outstanding metering system and the body can do TTL and super FP flash with the F-280 flash. The T-20 and T-32 give you OTF TTL.
    Another is the OM-2n. The OM-1 is a great camera, but you will have problems getting a battery for the exposure meter.

• Like Like x 2
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I just got an OM-1n myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

7. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    If you're after a smallish film camera body, then I agree with the rest of the comments---go for an OM. I still have my original OM-1n from the 80s--still working, very solid, very compact.

8. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I've got the OM1, 2 and 4 (almost picked up a 3 but my bank manager had to hold me back).

The OM1 can't be beat for simplicity, size and style - its pretty much all manual apart from the meter (and there are plenty of PX625 alternatives - don't let people put you off about the old batteries).

If you'd like some electronic assistance get the OM2 - it'll do aperture priority. They do have a bad reputation for chewing through the batteries.

The 4 is like the 2 but with better metering.

The 3 is like the 1 (fully manual) but with better metering.

The OM1 is a good start point because theres not much that can go wrong. If you pick up an OM second (or third) hand watch for crumbling light-seals, and sticky shutters (particularly on the electronic aperture-priority OM2/4).

I've been swayed to try adding some Nikon bodies (tend to be bigger and feel more solid than the OM's) to my collection but nothing about the Canon line-up is even remotely appealing.

I recently picked up a OM Winder which is great fun - I get to play at being a Pap and blasting through film :)

Good luck !

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The PX625 battery is a 1.35 mercury battery which is a no no in the USA. You can find PLENTY of 1.5 volt alternatives, but the meter will be off a few f / stops, and the inaccuracy is non-linear, so at 25 ASA, it may be off 1/2 f/stop, at 400 ASA it may be off 3 f/stops. Camtech in N.Y. can modify the circuit to accommodate a 1.5 volt battery, without modification, the meter will eventually die.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dayou14

dayou14 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    Thanks guys. OM it is.

If an OM does Aperture Priority I can shoot it just like my GH2, where I shoot AP 90% of the time.

Haven't touched film for 10 years. Rusty. Gotta re-learn.

11. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    You'll want to keep an eye out for a OM2 or 4 for AP. The 2 will be much cheaper and more plentiful.

Good shooting :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. glasgowlass

glasgowlass Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
    OM2n are fine, they made some really good small SLR models when most were very big and hefty.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  13. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    My OM2n is great. It metered this scene all by itself in aperture priority. Switch it to manual and it turns into an electronic OM1. Warning! The finder will make you never want to use an APS-C or 4/3 dslr ever again.

3872856205_89f475b1a6.
    Traffic by Mark Bowerman, on Flickr

OM2n, 50/1.8, Fuji Neopan SS (lovely film but hard to find)

• Like Like x 1