1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

fill-flash and off-camera lighting

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Talanis, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I'm doing some off-camera flash tests this morning with the FL-600R controlled by the FL-FM2 on the OM-D. My problem is even if I set the on Camera option to off, it still do some fill-flash with the FL-FM2. Is it normal? Did I miss an option somewhere?

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Assuming you're turning the on camera flash off using the RC menu on the back of the camera (by pressing the OK button while in RC mode) and not the normal flash control, what you're probably seeing is the preflash which fires minutely before the exposure.

Gordon

3. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I have found I get a small amount of light from the on camera flash, especially when using slow shutter speeds. I believe in the manual they even mention this can happen.

4. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I thought it was the pre-flash too but I tested it in the mirror and you see both flash ON on the resulting photo even when the on-camera flash is OFF in the RC panel. If I'm far from my subject, I don't think it will make a big difference but closer, you see it. You see the catch light in the eye too.
    I wonder if it is a bug or like this by design. I tried it with my wife's E-PM2 and it does the same thing.