File size limitation

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by EFMax, Mar 26, 2012.

1. EFMax

EFMax Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 26, 2012
    Hi there

Been trying to google this info but not much luck so far.

I have an Olympus EP2 and have just realised that the max file size is 2gb (approx 7.5mins) is there anyway to extend this to make better use of a 32gb card.

Wanting to be able to video of the solar eclipse in Nov, got everything else sorted but the file limitation dampens my desire to record much before and after this 4min event.

Any pointers would be appreciated.. Cheers.

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The E-P2 shoots only in AVI, which by definition is limited to a 2GB file. If you want to do video, consider picking up a secondary camera that can share your lenses. A Panasonic G2, GF2, or GF3 should be cheap enough. The GF2 and GF3 are small enough that they will take up almost no space in your bag. They shoot in AVCHD, and have recording times of two hours. The G2 has a larger battery, which is useful because shooting video really drains it. Regardless of camera, you may want to pick up a second battery.

3. EFMax

EFMax Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 26, 2012
    Thanks for that.. that is a pity as I have a 600mm mirror lens for the EP2 that I have spent ages getting to grips with to get the video stuff done.. okay, thanks for your feedback.. will have to take on-board your words..

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The Panasonic cameras are also all micro 4/3. You and I could share lenses without issue. As long as the lens works on your Olympus, it will work equally well on my Panasonic. In fact, the cameras use the same sensor, and for most intents and purposes, take identical photos.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is the reason why I like the newer Olympus PENs with 1080i in AVCHD (E-PM1, E-PL3, and E-P3). AVI is admittedly very convenient, but AVCHD is more versatile.

6. EFMax

EFMax Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 26, 2012
    At this stage I am guessing but the Panasonic has a bit of a hand grip and my 600mm mirror lens (because of its width) looks like it would prove a tad awkward fitting..

I do hear what you are saying and I guess I am lazy to want to spend another few hundred quid for a camera body for a one off event and have to learn how to use it all over again... that said, with the 2gb limitation, that was with the camera set at HD.. my chosing SD I effectively double the duration and in that respect, a mirror lens, with a solar filter on top of it - is 720 really gonna be that much of an issue over HD.. so I may well go with that or just settle for stills in the moments leading up tot he eclipse, take my 7.5mins from just before until just after, and then continue with stills.

Thanks for everyones input.

7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Your 600mm will probably fit, since the adapter will jut out quite significantly, I know my EOS, MD/MC and M42 adapters all do.

The 7.5min limit is just an estimate based on how compressible the video stream is, so it may go significantly longer when you have an uncomplicated scene like a empty sky background and a fairly uniformly colored subject.

I would actually be far more concerned with the damage to your sensor, unless you have the proper ND400 filter to go with your lens.

8. EFMax

EFMax Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 26, 2012
    Thanks for that, I have not got a ND400 but a proper designated SOLAR filter designed percificly for solar activity and to this end, it works fantastic as it cuts out light transmission by something crazy, anyway it was designed for photographing the sun and solar activity on the sun, so it's pretty safe as it screws nicely into the lens hood which screws into the lens.. thanks for the saftey pointer.

You are probably right about the 600mm lens fitting with the adaptor in place, but I think that I shall not be buying a Panny for this as I love my EP2 and it took for ever for me to chose it and to get me off medium and large format to move to digital.

Ironically, I ditched the 14-42mm almost straight away and got myself the 12mm-60mm and an old 35-200 macro Carl Zeiss lens.. guess I am use to a camera looking like a camera with a hefty lens on front but I like my optics to be sharp.. (though some may say a mirror lens aint ever gonna be sharp).

9. EFMax

EFMax Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 26, 2012
    Did set the camera up on a tripod this afternoon and set it up as SD and yep, got 14mins recording out of it, so I shall make do with the lower quality res as that 14min time span gives me a chance to really enjoy the eclipse without fussing about stuff like I did last time..

10. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    For video, sharpness is still important, not as critical. 24p or 30p will cause all sorts of motion blur which is what makes a movie special, and not so camcorder looking, and the short DOF helps with the look.

My old 500mm mirror was sharp enough, and most are, but it's the lack of contrast that make it seem less sharp. But old mirrors can also start to de-silver, and then it's toast.