File numbering in Olympus cameras

DaveJP

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Plumb
The file numbering on Olympus cameras has two settings: “Reset”, where the number part of the file name is reset to 0001 whenever a blank formatted memory card is inserted into the camera; and “Auto”, where the numbering sequence continues to increase (until 9999), no matter how many blank cards are used. The first four characters of the filename can be user edited, and I have done this on both my Olympus camera bodies to make the filenames exclusive to each body, and prevent any possibility of duplicate file numbers. (I had quite a headache with identical file numbers some years ago with two Canon camera bodies).

I purchased my EM1 Mk3 camera last year and immediately set the filename numbering to “Auto” in all modes (which included all the Custom modes). With several lock downs since then the camera hasn’t taken many photos, and by the beginning of this year the four numbers in the filename for the last image were 1326. Last week I used the camera again, but when I uploaded the images to Lightroom I noticed that the file numbers started from 0001 again. I quickly checked that “Auto” was still set in all modes (which it was), so I’m baffled as to how the file numbering reset has occurred.

The only change I’ve made to the camera’s settings between taking the earlier photographs (the last one ending in file number 1326) and the latest photos (starting from 0001 again) is to update the firmware to 1.2. Is it possible that the firmware installation has reset the file numbering? Has anyone else had this sort of thing occur?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Is it possible that the firmware installation has reset the file numbering?

Seems like the obvious answer. But you said you also changed the changeable leading characters in the file name. Did those also reset to the default as well?

DaveJP

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Plumb
No they didn't, just the four numbers. Although it's only the number part of the filename that reverts to 0001 when you set the Reset option in Filename.

However, in future, I think I'm going to set up new file numbering on import to Lightroom; it seems the safest option to avoid file name duplications. Does anyone have any suggestions for simple file name formats; I don't want anything too complicated?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think I'm going to set up new file numbering on import to Lightroom; it seems the safest option to avoid file name duplications. Does anyone have any suggestions for simple file name formats; I don't want anything too complicated?

Ya that is why I have never given it much thought (although I too use the Auto setting) because my files are automatically renamed upon import to my computer, so they are automatically given unique names.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
What I would like to find out is a way to reset to 0001, when I create a new folder to save into, without formatting the card.
Example I shoot the JV game, 0001 to 0600. Then create a new folder for the varsity game then shoot from 0001 to 1200.​
This keeps each game in an intact series.​
What bugs me is when I shoot a game from 9800 to 9999 then the camera creates a new folder and starts over at 0001. So my game is broken into two series, with the later half with the lower numbers.

Drdul

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Is it possible that the firmware installation has reset the file numbering? Has anyone else had this sort of thing occur?

Yes, that has happened to me, too. If you want to restart the file numbering where you left off before it was reset, copy the last file onto the SD card (or copy any file and rename it to the last file name), and then take one shot. The camera will number the shot as one more than the number of the file you copied onto the card, and from that point on it will increment the file numbers as expected.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
My file number on import is as follows:

[Camera name]_[photographer initials]_[year]-[camera file number]

e.g.

For E-PM2 = EPM2_JAK_2021-_PM20001.JPG (or .ORF)

For E-M1 MkII = EM2_JAK_2021-_M120001.JPG (or .ORF)

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20123_eW.jpg

E-M1_MkII_JAK_2017-_8281923_Ew.jpg

The "_Ew" suffix tells me which Photoshop macro I have used, or what other PP has been applied.

NOTICE: the original file name is always preserved within the computer and web filename. This becomes more important with each passing year!

It also means that a file can be copied to its original camera filename and manipulated in-camera (e.g. to remake a damaged LSF JPEG).

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom