Fighting GAS

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Kennikins, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Kennikins

Kennikins Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 25, 2017
    UK
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

I have to admit... the topic is very relevant considering what I've been up to in the last month or so... however, and before even checking out the link you provided, my initial reaction to the photo that is included in your post is that it actually gave me an immediate sensation... I think it's called GAS!

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Kennikins

Kennikins Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 25, 2017
    UK
    I know what you mean thats why I picked it! You will see below I have (what I consider to be) plenty of gear but there is still a lens or two I covet. If I went out shooting I would stay off ebay and wex but its cloudy and about to rain and im in the second day of a 2 day hangover.......I need some retail therapy!!!

4. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

gotcha... I too am looking at a bleak day outside here in boonieville... and have tabs open in Amazon.ca, ebay.ca and yes Buy & Sell here at mu-43.com...

read through the article and only found that #9 might rid me of a few toots... knowing that I should probably invest in a few photo classes over more glass... but I also know the allure of the gear is much too strong right now..

I do appreciate you trying to help us all out here though... nice try! :bowdown:

• Like Like x 1
  5. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    :)

Nice one! I did count my stuff as a result, and I found I have 3 MFT bodies, 19 lenses, a Metabones Adapter and 2 Metabones Speedboosters (to use my FF lenses on MFT :)).

However, I haven't bought a single lens since the Oly 7-14 Pro about 2 months ago :). <ROFL>

Kind regards, Wim

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  6. Kennikins

Kennikins Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 25, 2017
    UK
    My last purchase was about 3 months ago the new PL8/18, what a lens! made me yearn for the PL12/60 to fill the gap in my primes.......oh sh*t here I go again.......

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Thank you Wim - you've made me feel a whole lot better about my own collection!!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    It's easier to avoid GAS with m43...there's just not that much stuff available compared to Canikon.

9. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking Subscribing Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    Resistance is Futile.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. When here or elsewhere on the web, always repeat to yourself:
    Those nice pictures are not the type of thing that I shoot. The gear they use may not be right for me. That cool software will not fix my technique, or autocorrect poor lighting. I need to get off my computer and take more photos with what I have. Everything is fine. Stay Calm and Take Pictures.

Also get a 2nd job or a generous patron. After all, talking to yourself can also be seen as an illness! :eek:

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking Subscribing Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    Difficult to read but I agree

12. I have been rereading the GX7 reviews, no wonder I wanted it :roflmao:
    I really need to get better acquainted with the menus to minimize my confusion, and shoot much more often!

13. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    Switching to micro 43 makes it easier. For me anyway because with Nikon there is always a pro lens I will never buy but always read about. With m43 gear I can own the Trilogy of zoom lenses for under $2000 bucks.

Not reading the forums helps and setting a goal to shoot every week helps too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 15, 2016
    now that´s one i would like to hear.
    Having double the ammount on lenses in m43 from oly and panasonic, third party manufacturers, dumb adapters, smart adapters, speed boosters, t/s adapters, which gives you the opportunity to use ALL manual lenses ever made, same as modern aps-c and FF canon ef glass.
    lighting? definetely, but only ttl support - the manual stuff works the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    <ROFL>

This is exactly why I own 3 Metabones MFT-EF adapters/speedboosters, and a bunch of general adapters too, come to think of it. Besides the 19 MFT lenses, I am able to use all of my EF lenses too, plus the ones I sold off a while ago (about 33 Pentax, Zeiss, Leitz and Olympus OM lenses :), although most of these date back to my analog era). Hmm, I just realize I was just as bad with film - 3 bodies and a similar amount of lenses <ROFL>. And this before the real advent of the internet ....

Kind regards, Wim

16. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    <ROFL>
    At the end of year I cleaned up, as in, got rid of all my old analog stuff, even the stuff I had adapters for to be used on Canon or MFT.

The idea was to have less, but somehow this past year I still managed to add quite a few more items to my (new) hoard .... <ROFL>

I still own, besides the MFT gear, a Canon FF body, a Canon analog body, 12 Canon EF lenses, two extenders, two convertors, stacks of adapters, 3 enlarging lenses (for macro use), a bunch of extension tubes, 5 or 6 flashes, and all kinds of ancillary gear. All this after gifting and selling off 3 Pentax bodies, 33 old school lenses, a few point and shoot analog cameras, and a bunch of ancillary gear.

And when I start thinking about how much I bought and sold on at a later stage ....

I only now started realizing how bad my GAS has been over the period I have had photography as a hobby (53 years, of which 44 years in earnest).

Funnily enough I do find that I buy most stuff when I have relatively little time to shoot. Some kind of compensational behaviour.

Kind regards, Wim

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  17. Kennikins

Kennikins Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 25, 2017
    UK
    I just bid on a PL12/60........damn you all!!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    No, thank you all :). Imagine what would have happened without this thread :).

Kind regards, Wim

19. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I think rule #10 does it best to cure GAS:

#10. Just go out and shoot
    Oddly enough, whenever I am out shooting (with the camera I already own), I no longer desire any other camera. I only desire new cameras when I am sitting on my butt at home, on my smartphone, reading gear review sites on the newest digital camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    New cameras is not my problem (anymore <ROFL>), it's the lenses.

Couldn't help myself today, and got two more, to further complete my Oly and Panny line-ups :).

I promise I will now only buy anothe rlens when the Oly 45 PRO and 12 PRO becoem available :). If the 25 PRO is anythign to go by, those are absolute must haves for me :).

Kind regards, Wim

• Agree Agree x 1