1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Fight to the Death

Discussion in 'Nature' started by RevBob, Jul 31, 2012.

1. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    My dughter left for work this morning and discovered that our friendly neighborhood garden toad was being eaten by a common garter snake. The struggle was taking place in our driveway. Here are some shots of the toad trying to pull itself free. (The snake prevailed in the end, but it took several hours).
    All shots taken with the Olympus 45mm on my E-P3.

MRDK-0731.

MRDK-0715.

MRDK-0721.

MRDK-0718.

MRDK-0726.

MRDK-0729.

MRDK2-0720.

• Like Like x 17
  2. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Great capture! ( for you and the snake)

• Like Like x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Ouch!

Snake's thinking (if it could think) -- "yeah, what are YOU lookin' at? Take a picture -- it lasts longer. Oh, never mind" :)

Thanks for sharing.

Does a toad EVER win that fight? Once the rear legs are gone, I'm thinking it's just a matter of time???

• Like Like x 1
  4. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    I'm glad I'm not a toad (and my shoes don't look and smell like a toad).

• Like Like x 2
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    LOL - The snake was not happy with me, but couldn't do much abot it at the time. No, I don't think the toad had a chance unless someone intervened. I considered helping it, but that wasn't fair to the snake. My wife was hoping a local hawk would swoop down and grab the snake - sort of poetic justice! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    First off...AWSOME shots!!!v:thumbup:

A big enough toad, yes. Frogs and toads are eating machines.

article-1036264-01FF2D2600000578-99_468x492.

Sometimes they get help.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hhLgR1Injl4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 3
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Not so sure, though, that the videographer there didn't bother the snake quite a bit.

8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Wonder if the rescue frog was grabbing its own lunch. I once photographed a frog eating another frog, only thus learning of their cannibalistic ways. Great shots anyway.

9. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Thanks, I also felt bad for the toad - great to have in a garden, but snakes have a right to live as well so I let it alone (other than irritating it as I took photos!) :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  11. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Great capture! :2thumbs:

In olden days I had a house in the country with porches on two sides having about six steps up to the porch from the lawn. We had a few toads that lasted through the years that would come all the way up the steps and hang out on the porch near the windows to eat the Junebugs and other insects. We used to go out there and help them catch the big Junebugs. We gave them names. Mr. Boofey was our fave. No critter was going to eat Mr. Boofey while I was around. Uh Unh! :tongue:

That being said I understand and support your neutrality in this affair. Snakes gotta eat too. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    This toad lived in our garage, the door doesn't sit perfectly flat and he could slide under one side. Must have wandered a bit to far afield last night or early this morning. :frown: