Fight For the Hotshoe!!!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SCT, Feb 21, 2012.

1. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    I dislike how I can't use an external flash when I have my VF2 attached.

I read somewhere that someone taped the wires of an external flash unit to the appropriate leads on the hotshoe and slid the viewfinder over it with excellent end results of the flash working.

Anyone tried such thing with the EPL1?

I think someone asked if by attaching the VF2, if it disables the hotshoe. If it doesn't, I'll find a way to hack it to be able to use an external flash.

I'm quite surprised there is no hotshoe/ accessory port adapter, which would slot into the acc. port AND hotshoe, which would allow for the use of both EVF and an external flash.

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Easy solution, use an FL-36R off camera and use the built in flash as the commander.

3. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    How can I use the built-in flash as the commander?

I haven't used any flash much. I generally dislike flash. But there are cases where I need it now. Weddings people want me to photograph for them. The built-in flash doesn't seem to cut it for me well enough. Then again, I thought about going full on DSLRs.... Nikon or Canon.

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    A simple pc connection on the body would allow simple manual flash off camera. Or, like the OM bodies, a multi-pin connector would allow full automation.

Fred

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Set both the camera (SCP) and FL-36R flash to wireless. The VF-2 can now be used in the hot shoe.

6. robertmwilliams

robertmwilliams Mu-43 Regular

+1 on using built in wireless function.
    I use this on my E-P3 even with the flash on a flash bracket.
    The ability to use the VF-2 and flash in this manner is the main reason I went from the EPM1 to the E-P3.

7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    What kind of external flash are you using?