Fight Club--Two Eagles and a Halibut

Bristolero

Mu-43 All-Pro
I was watching out my window this rainy morning and spotted a bald eagle swoop down and dive into the ocean. Imagine our surprise when after a very arduous swim to shore, he pulled out a halibut!
20200524-IJM16641_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It was a ways off, really too far for any kind of good shot, but sometimes that's all you get.

Unless stuff has really big teeth, closer is always better and I knew the situation wouldn't stay static for long. I quickly slid into my Kokatat drysuit, grabbed my camera, and trotted down to our dock. I launched the quickest transport, my Thurso paddleboard and stroked off towards the eagle.

20200524-IJM16658_DxO.jpg

In the meantime another eagle plummeted down and knocked the feeder--and the halibut--off the rock, and all three cartwheeled through the air and back into the ocean. I missed what would have been a really exciting tumbling series and didn't even see the cartwheel (my wife told me about it when I returned).
20200524-IJM16774_DxO.jpg

What I did capture was a whole lotta' splashing as the eagles battled it out for the halibut, and for some above-the-surface oxygen.
20200524-IJM16690_DxO.jpg

I'll tell you, it was quite a show from the paddleboard, and I kept clicking, believe me!
20200524-IJM16693_DxO-2.jpg

As the eagles dragged their waterlogged selves back towards firm ground, you can see the gillplate of the unfortunate halibut hanging out of the birds beak.
20200524-IJM16698_DxO.jpg

Neither fowl looked very happy.
20200524-IJM16695_DxO-2.jpg

Reaching for land. A heavy crop, but shows the struggle, I think.
20200524-IJM16701_DxO.jpg

Once back on land, the victor still had to defend it's meal. It eventually triumphed and the remaining birds flew off through the rain.
20200524-IJM16716_DxO-2.jpg

20200524-IJM16851_DxO.jpg

Sometimes getting a series like this is mostly just about being there and taking whatever opportunity happens. I tend to be pretty "movey" when I see something that I think might transpire. Lots of times, and today was one of them, I have no idea what I've captured until after the action quits.

Attachments

• 20200524-IJM16694_DxO.jpg
    20200524-IJM16694_DxO.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 20200524-IJM16713_DxO.jpg
    20200524-IJM16713_DxO.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

Jock Elliott

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jock Elliott
Epic series . . . just epic. I would be really well pleased to have taken even one of these shots, let alone a whole series.

You really ought to reach out to a nature or bird magazine to see if they have any interest in publishing this series. IMHO, this is the kind of stuff for which photogs sit in a blind for a year and hope something good happens. Nothing like having a camera handy, your eyes open, observe what's happening, and seize the moment. Well done.

I have, however, a goofy question: were you sitting or standing on the paddleboard when you triggered those shots?

Cheers, Jock

RR Jonny

Mu-43 Veteran
Inspirational series Eric! I especially am impressed by the wherewithal to get the TC out of the equation, freeze the in-flight action with 1/600, drop it down to 1/250 for the water battle and then boost it back to 1/600 while the bird flies away. Outstanding! Thanks!

Last edited:

Bristolero

Mu-43 All-Pro
Epic series . . . just epic. I would be really well pleased to have taken even one of these shots, let alone a whole series.

You really ought to reach out to a nature or bird magazine to see if they have any interest in publishing this series. IMHO, this is the kind of stuff for which photogs sit in a blind for a year and hope something good happens. Nothing like having a camera handy, your eyes open, observe what's happening, and seize the moment. Well done.

I have, however, a goofy question: were you sitting or standing on the paddleboard when you triggered those shots?

Cheers, Jock
Jock, my butt was firmly planted!

Bristolero

Mu-43 All-Pro
Inspirational series Eric! I especially am impressed by the wherewithal to get the TC out of the equation, freeze the in-flight action with 1/600, drop it down to 1/250 for the water battle and then boost it back to 1/600 while the bird flies away. Outstanding! Thanks!
And not fall off the paddleboard!
Good to hear from you Jonny

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Very good and proof that good photos do not have to be perfect, it is the shots that count and these ones definatly count.

One of the best series I have ever seen

coaltrain

Mu-43 Regular
What a breathtaking series! I couldn’t imagine what it was like to witness something like that - but to get a series of photographs? Just outstanding - a once in a lifetime event!

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
Eric I add to all above.
Outstanding photography and beautifully captured what few people would ever see.
Good too that your wife can fill in the gaps.
Amazing. Thanks for sharing.

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
I saw a trio of juvenile eagles fight over a rabbit once, but had nothing like this to show for it. Fantastic.

Phocal

God
Great captures. You sure have a lot more eagle action down there than I have up here in Anchorage.

Latest threads

Top Bottom