Few ?'s about EM5 MkII ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SteveNunez, Apr 2, 2015.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Hey Olympus enthusiasts, I've just purchased a Mark II and had a few questions hopefully you guys can answer;
    1. Is the sensor on the MkII new or is it used in other cameras?
    2. Does the MKII feature live HDMI out for both stills and video?
    3. Because the MkII is the latest model for Oly, does it have the best image quality in the Oly lineup?
    4. I noticed something unusual while recording video, if the 'magnify' feature is used (check focus) the video actually captures a magnified image- this seems like an error- anyone else had this occur?
    5. Is 77mbps available in 60p capture? (I can't seem to enable this)

Thank you guys- cheers!!!

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    1 - AFAIK, the sensor is essentially the same in the E-PM2, E-PL5, E-M5, E-M10, E-PL7 and the E-M5ii.

2 - no idea, don't do video.

3 - the IQ off all the Oly 16Mp cameras is about the same.

4 & 5 - see answer to Q 2!

3. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Same sensor is a bit disappointing........years using the same sensor on a slew of cameras doesn't really show advancement.
    I know the IQ is really good but there's always improvements and to learn it's the same sensor is a bit disappointing.

4. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I shouldn't be too disappointed - Canon sensor tech, until the latest 50Mp behemoth, was stuck for years. I don't see sensor tech as the be-all and end-all of cameras these days though - we're definitely past the point of "more than good enough". Having said that I'd like to see better noise control. I think the next round of u43 cameras will see some advance though - there are lots of new sensor technologies in the wings.

5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Actually its kind of awesome. It means the tech (and not just for m43) has reached the point where its reasonable to use an older body for a longer period of time without a huge drop off in quality.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    To put things in perspective - that 'amazing' Sony A7r 36 MP sensor (and it is a great camera with a great sensor) is a good 3 years old and nothing much yet that beats it in its resolution class (still waiting to see if the Canon brings any significant advantage to the table or not).

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Not true. Sensor development has been largely static across the industry as a whole for several years, leaving aside a few FX sensors.

8. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Also, if you made an FF (135) sensor with the same pixel density as the u43 sensors, it would be 64Mp.

9. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    At one level I agree. I think it's pretty normal to want something better. But I also agree with comments that sensor tech hasn't changed much in the last 3 years. This sensor seems to stand up pretty well to APS-C sensors. The Sony 24mp sensor is better but it kind of seems about as much better as one would expect due to size. And it certainly seems on par with the Canon APS-C sensors. I'm seeing strong reports regarding the new Samsung 28mp backlit sensor.

10. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    same sensor but different processor. The different about 1 stop. This is why i decided to buy again EM5 (also the price is cheap US$ 400)

11. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The processor can only affect the jpegs. If you shoot raw it'll not change anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I have read quite the opposite: it does affect raws as well. And some people have claimed there is half a stop difference in IQ compared to the old E-M5.

13. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hi Pake - that's interesting. Can you point me to the info on that?

14. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Oh sorry, I've read something like 20-30 different (p)reviews of it and a couple of them claimed there's a small improvent in raw also. I can't remember which sites said so but I can take a look later if I can find them (through my browser history)...

15. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I have a question. If I use the HDR mode, is there any way, later to see which pictures were taken with HDR mode? I've done some test shots but cant visually be sure which is normal and which is HDR. I've looked through the EXIF and seen nothing.

16. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    I have not had good results with the HDR function - it seems pretty lame. Instead I assigned a real bracketing sequence to a myset and then assigned that myset to the HDR/Fn4 button.

17. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    A7R was announced Oct 2013 - just 1.5 years ago.