Few Panasonic newbie questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jaomul, Aug 11, 2017.

1. jaomul

jaomul Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    I have a small understanding of digital photography but i am more used to Olympus than panasonic with regard to m43 cameras.I recently bought a GX80/85. I have a few questions and wonder if anyone might help out? Thanks

1- Does NR setting effect raw (I know it should not, that is what raw means but I read about baked in settings on raw)

2- as there are no lens corrections in Lightroom etc, are these baked into raw or non existent

2. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2016
    1. No the NR does not affect RAW.
    2. DxO Pro 11.4 supports lens corrections for the GX80/85.

3. jaomul

jaomul Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    The raw question seems a real rookie one but I couldn't get a definitive find on this one, thanks

4. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2016
    You can play about to your heart's content with all sorts of settings like colour, contrast etc. on the camera, and the results will be viewable in the JPEG file. The RAW remains untouched as long as you remember to set the camera to RAW & JPEG shooting...

5. jaomul

jaomul Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    I knew that part about colour etc, I am a fairly long time user of raw files, I have a full nikon dslr setup and previously had an EM5. I had read somewhere that noise reduction was applied to raw files (odd I know, and I should know better than believe it)

6. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Perhaps what they meant was that if you open the raw file in the manufacturer's supplied raw software editor (Olympus Viewer 3; not sure about Panasonic), the initial view you get HAS the settings that were applied to the jpg file. This is arguably one minor advantage to using the manufacturer's software. You can always reset the raw setting to nothing and start out as you would with 3rd-party software (except white balance, I guess - it has to set it to SOMETHING - usually "as shot," even in 3rd party).

7. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    #1 - the NR setting is recorded in the RAW file's metadata, along with all of the other similar settings and various other data, but is not "baked" into the RAW image data. Some RAW converters can read these metadata settings and use them for their initial default adjustments. While color balance and ISO are all but universally supported, specialized settings like NR can't be applied without intimate knowledge of the camera's proprietary image processing code. In general, only the camera manufacturer's software can use these settings. Some 3rd party software attempts to use some of these settings, but lacking the camera's actual code algorithms they are only guessing how they are applied and as a result will not get exactly the same results and the in-camera processing or the manufacturer's only RAW converter. They often get good results, but not a perfect match.

#2 - Lightroom doesn't need its own library of lens correction profiles for m4/3 lenses. Oly and Panny designed the system such that each lens contains lens correction profile in its EPROMs. This is read by the body and written into each image file's metadata. This information is available to RAW processing software, such as Lr. Lr will automatically apply these corrections. Only adapted lenses and the very few "native" lenses that lack electronic interfaces (e.g. the Oly "body cap" lenses, ...) leave the camera without the ability to insert a lens correction profile into the image files. There are separate image profiles available for some of the more popular lenses of this type.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Panny and Oly lenses on LR and some "point and shoot" cameras have "built in lens correction applied" on the lens correction module. You can still use the selector to correct it to another lens,but it won't be your lens.

9. jaomul

jaomul Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    Thanks all for the good information

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    On #2 -- as others said, this is auto-handled by LR, so don't sweat it

On #1 -- it has been answered, but just in case your issue is that you think the jpgs have too much NR, you can adjust NR down in each camera profile. Go into the Photo Styles from the menu (it's the top choice on page 1/8 on the top camera menu). Select the style you want, and up pops options for adjusting contrast, sharpness, noise resistance and saturation. If, like me, you found the standard NR too strong across all Styles, then you'll need to go into each style and dial NR down on all of them. I chose -2, and it seems to be working much better for me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Just to add to the NR question. Although normal noise reduction does not apply to raw files the long exposure noise reduction that you can turn on or off (sets in after a threshold of a couple seconds exposure time if turned on) will apply to raws if I'm not mistaken.