1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Few E-pl3 owners?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by elandel, Mar 2, 2012.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi all E-pl3 owners. I just bought this little jewel and I'm really satisfied with it.

Looking at the threads I have the sensation that this camera is a bit underrated and not so common as Ep3 or E-pm1: am I wrong?

The E-pl3 image thread is only two pages or so and E-pl3 threads are lessere that other cameras.
    Well maybe we can share our experience and settings in this thread.
    Lets just see how many we are and if we are satisfied with this little beast.:biggrin:

2. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    Mine should arrive today... I'll share my views when it has got some use :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. elle s'ennuie

elle s'ennuie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2012
    Europe
    I don't have an E-PL3 yet, but I'm planning to purchase one soon. :cool: I'm new to M4/3s, so researching the system was what brought me here. I wish there were more E-PL3 posts too, but E-PM1 seems to get all the love on this forum!

• Like Like x 1
  4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I have been using an E-PL3 as a second body to my E-P3 for a few months. While I find the tiltable screen covenient, I never really liked the handle of the E-PL3 as much as my E-P3. Ergonomic-wise, I just find all the buttons too cramped up, and the smaller LCD display makes it harder for me to tell if an object is in focus or not. I now limit the use of the E-PL3 to only with the PL25 and the Oly 12mm. If I use it with the Oly 45mm, it misses focus too often, while it never happens with my E-P3. I am now thinking of selling the camera, while I wait for the E-M5 to come out, since I got the E-PL3 at a rather good price.

Personal experience aside, the pricing of the E-PL3 in the US is too high, compared to the E-PM1, with the only difference being a tilt screen and a mode dial. Naturally, more people go for the better-valued E-PM1. So, its lack of popularity has more to do with its pricing, rather than being underrated...

• Like Like x 3
  5. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
    Or maybe the E-PL3 owners aren't posting in that thread.

I have an E-PL1 and E-PL3 at the moment. When I bought my E-PL1, it seemed like the best price/performance combination. The prices of the newer PENs are coming down fast though.

I'm glad I upgraded to the E-PL3. It's smaller, faster, has the tilting screen and the AF-assist lamp. I thought the dial around the OK button would be annoying, but it turned out to be great. I don't miss the built-in flash at all.

The only problem I've had is the camera turning on while it's in the bag. The mode dial is also a bit easy to turn and gets switched accidentally.

• Like Like x 1
  6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I've owned many cameras and m4/3 bodies, and one thing I can tell for sure is that all cameras have their flaws.
    Lets say that the important thing is to figure out what are our needs and how we can cope with the camera's flaws.
    The e-pl3 is, IMHO maybe the best compromise for the pen 3 line-up.
    I can say that this was one that I did not consider when I went to trade my E-pl1 with a 3rd generation pen; I was sure I would take the E-pm1...instead I came out with this one. After using it for some days I can say that it's one I like best (I own 4 m4/3 bodies). Maybe the ergonomics is not a problema because I also have an Ep2 that I use but now less often.

7. kanasgowatom

kanasgowatom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    My E-PL3 is my first four thirds camera, therefore, the change in the grip is not important, to me. Not having anything to compare this camera to, it works well for me. While my D-200, was much easier to manipulate, I find that the size and weight, of my E-PL3, more than compensates. More importantly, this camera, has made photography fun again. I am 65, and find the excitement on these various four thirds sites to be a breath of Spring, compared to the rather stodgy, narrow sighted rhetoric found on full size DSLR sites.

kanasgowatom

• Like Like x 3
  8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I have one - its been my only m43 body for a while and will be until the OMD shows up. For people who don't care about the flip up screen, I can see why they'd either gravitate to the EP3 (for interface, features, and general feel) or to the EPM1 (for price/value). But for some of us, the flip up screen is THE "killer app" that renders many other considerations irrelevant. I'm one of those people. I'd been waiting for an m43 camera with this type of screen ever since I shot with a Nex. Now the EPL3 has it, soon the OMD will have it in the flagship body and I'll have one of those. And will probably keep the EPL3 around for a second body and for a really pocketable option with the 14mm or 17mm. I love the camera - I didn't until I put an aftermarket grip on it, but its a wonderful little camera.

Depending on how much better the new OMD sensor is and how quickly it migrates down into the rest of the Pen line, I may replace the EPL3 with a newer small Pen at some point, but that'll depend on a lot of stuff and is probably not a near term thing. Great little camera.

-Ray

• Like Like x 3
  9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I doubt that it's underrated, but as the middle model, it's bound to get less attention than its more inexpensive or fancier siblings.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    I agree with Ray, the digital TLR experience is great in a small package (plus EPM1 + VF3 cost more around here). My story about this is here

• Like Like x 2
  11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    We have an E-PL3 - a great little camera.

As far as image threads go, I do not think to post the E-PL3 images in a separate thread, since the output is identical to the E-P3 and E-PM1. It seems like there should be a PEN series v3 family image thread. =)

12. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    • Like Like x 1
  13. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
  14. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I had an E P1 and an Ep2 that I bought used mostly for the VF2. They were a little redundant, so I traded my E P1 for the E P3, and really felt that Olympus got it right with the E P3.
    I started looking at some higher end P&S cameras like the Fuji X10 for the smaller form factor, and decided to get a body only E PM1 on Ebay. I wanted a smaller camera, the features of the E P3 and to be able to use my lenses. I also tried an E PL3, but it came down to a matter of cost.
    I probably use the E P3 and E PM1 about the same amount of time. I rarely use the E P2, but probably wouldn't sell it for the low price I could get for it.

15. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I also have the Ep2 brand new and wont sell for your same reason and because I love it, even if I'm not using it much because the E-pl3 has become my first camera, even with the G3.

16. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    I am really enjoying this camera and find the flip screen unexpectedly really helpful. See these low level shots of my son. Hard to get with my old P&S unless i lay on the floor. Over my first :43: camera, the E-PL1, I also love the faster AF and the dial wheel. Don't miss the flash on bit.

17. Mellingerm

Mellingerm Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2011
    Hi Everyone,

I have an E-pl3 and I'll just say that I've been impressed with this camera and feel it is quite capable in a lot of situations. Recently I've been using it for night shots of the city I live in, and love it. Also, I've been using it on a few of my trips when hiking and climbing and will say that it does quite well under the situations I've placed it. Even when it was close to 0 degrees F, it still performed well. In about 3 weeks I'll be taking it up to the Lofoten Islands in Norway and will see how it does there too. Below are some examples of what it's done:

6781188397_64439fd47c_z.

This was from a trek in Nepal, around Mt. Manaslu

6936804443_4383bafc7f_z.

My city that I live in (evening time)

6800863517_f698c03f54_z.

The beach in Boracay, Philippines.

The thing I like the most about this camera, is that the auto-focus is pretty quick and usually spot on....it's small.....and I love the colors that it produces straight out of the camera. I haven't used the raw function because I feel like the jpg's SOOC are good enough for me.

Anyway, all in all a great camera for me.

Michael Mellinger
    Flickr: mikemellinger's Photostream

• Like Like x 1
  18. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Nice pics. Good examples of what this camera is capable of. I'd also say that AWB goes a great job: it's always spot on most of the time.

19. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
  20. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Beautiful