1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ferns. Feedback appreciated.

Discussion in 'Nature' started by bfenner, Aug 2, 2011.

1. bfenner

bfenner Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2010
    20110420_Panama2011_3579.
    20110420_Panama2011_3578.

GF1 w/ 20mm

• Like Like x 2
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think #1 is the most interesting. Any way to lighten the pic a bit? Seems a little dark. But it's an interesting take, and draws your eye up the stalk.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The focus seems a bit out in #2. Nail the focus on this one and you'll get heaps of nice detail. #1 is a nice angle, although I might agree that an adjustment to the brightness and perhpas contrast might work better. I'd be inclined to try a b&w conversion as well and see how that looks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I love the perspective on the first. I too am drawn to similar structures in Nature. I feel that I would have taken similar shots given the same subject.

The honest reaction to your images at the moment is that I'm a bit torn. I want to comment on the softness of the shot, wishing it was sharper. At the same time, I just posted a set of similarly soft mostly plant shots.

Good images. I can't help but want that second one to be sharper. If it was my image, I would definitely try doing a monochrome version of the first. It is also good as is.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bfenner

bfenner Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2010
    These images are far from being technically sound, but something about them kept bringing me back. The darkness and soft focus kind of create a mood with an almost surreal, pictorialist effect. Not what I usually go for, but these I like. Thanks for the feedback!

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The center focus on #2 is good, image could be a bit lighter to show the detail. Still - nicely done on both.:thumbup:

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I love the perspective of #1, but the point of focus is off (IMHO). I like a shallow dof, but did you choose for it to be part way up...and why? I'd crop out the foreground that is oof so that the image starts in focus and travels up and out of focus......close but no cigar.

the second one is nearly perfect. There is just a very slight motion blur. I like the shallow dof and general blurriness, but the center un-furling should be really sharp.

But it's much easier to find faults with photos than it is to shoot good ones.....I'm proof of that. A little PP would help, too; But very nice work.