Female YouTubers on topic of photography or gear review

Okay, this is odd. A colleague asked me today if I knew any female YouTuber that talked about cameras (she just became a victim of ridiculous Canon RP offer) and my answer was well, Chelsea Northrup :speechless: on account she is the only one I know in this genre. I am not aware of any female led photography YouTube channel :S How is that? Certainly that can't be true? Any suggestions, please let me know in comments.

P.S. I also went through this article before settling on "female" and I am still not sure, so corrections in that regards are welcome too!

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Maybe the point of language is to be understood? This necessarily involves clarity.

Clarity often involves necessary clarifications by categorical or descriptive/definitive adjectives - the howls of protest from the members of the "Institute of the Perpetually Offended" notwithstanding.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sex and gender are different words, and so have different meanings. Sex is the biological distinction: male vs. female, penis vs. vagina, etc. Gender is things like dresses vs. pants, pink vs. blue, long hair vs. short hair, makeup vs. no makeup, etc. It the cultural definitions, that vary over time, from place to place, from person to person. For example, it is much easier to distinguish two dogs based on sex than by gender.

If you had used "women" in the context of photography, it would have been fine, everyone would know what you mean. No one would get upset about it. There is really no need to nitpick about it in this context. Photography is part of culture so maybe the disparity we see is as much a cultural issue anyways.

Of course, "Woman YouTubers" would have sounded kinda awkward. "Female" is not just a noun, it can also be used as an adjective so maybe "Female YouTubers" was still the better choice. The only one I can think of at the moment is Jessica Kobeissi, but I have only watched her a few times, maybe because she is mostly about portrait/fashion photography (I am more interested landscape/street). But still, this thread also makes me wonder about the lack of women on YouTube that I watch for any sort of discussion of photography.

I have watched a bunch of videos of lectures by women uploaded by School of Visual Arts which are more about artistic process, not really about gear or technical stuff.

But still, this thread also makes me wonder about the lack of women on YouTube that I watch for any sort of discussion of photography.
Indeed. When I am on YouTube watching a video, the related videos on the bottom have never been by any female YouTuber. I am glad @Holoholo55 dug some out. I didn't even know how to search.

I have never watch this channel but it keeps popping up [sort of dont like the name]
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSnapChick/videos
yeah that name! I have not seen this channel in my recommendations although I do watch all sorts of photography videos.

Levster

Mu-43 All-Pro
I don’t know many photography focussed channels so many of the below fall under the category of YouTubers. Many focus more on the videography side of the hobby, but I find those equally inspiring.

Becki and Chris are great. It’s a couple channel but Becki is the primary shooter so presents most of the gear and technical content:

Wex Photo Video in the UK present the majority of their gear reviews with a female photographer:

Currently Hannah is more of a videographer, but still features photography:

The Snapchick is probably the channel I’ve watched with the most technical content:

Sarah Dietschy has a more scattergun approach to gear reviews (anything and everything!)

Last edited:

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
If you are interested in film photography, Germany based Karin Majoka is sharing her experiences and learning with analog photography, she speaks English so a broader audience can understand her. I watch her content from time to time and think it's sometimes rather interesting, especially for somebody who never really shot film at all.

While searching on Youtube I also stumbled across US based Arianna, who shoots Olympus and Fujifilm, both digital as well as analog.

Last edited:

Mountain_Man_79

Brannigan’s Law is like Brannigan’s love
Real Name
Chris
It’s been mentioned already, but I subscribe to Leigh (the snap chick). She’s done some impressive deep dives into camera menus before (Nikon as I recall) that i found quite useful. Her newer stuff is so so, but she’s mostly on L Mount and Leica review kick lately, none of which really relate for me.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Around 30-40% of the photographers I follow on Instagram are female, same percentage for the photography books I have bought, but for photographers I regularly watch on YouTube it's exactly 0% female. I'm not sure if it's because there is lack of them, or something to do with YouTube algorithm, or because of bias on my part, or just small sample size, but maybe something I should could in mind. Just now, clicking on photography section on YouTube, going out of my way to look for them, there are hardly any videos by female photographers, maybe 1% only.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom