1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Feeling of Fall Colours : E-PL1 Minolta lenses

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by Robert Watcher, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

Fall in South Western Ontario : October 10'th 2010 (today).

I went out late this morning (around 11:00 to 12:00) to shoot some footage on a backroad that is beautiful with its canopy of tree limbs and vibrant colours this time of year.

Footage shot with Olympus E-PL1 and Minolta 50mm f1.7 and Minolta 28mm f2.8 manual focus lenses - attached with Minolta MD to E-PL1 adaptor from China.

I basically just got some different content from one short stretch of road, where the effect was most intense and where I could walk into the scroff at the edge to capture a few detail clips. For the most part, my E-PL1 was mounted on my tripod. Unfortunately it is not equipped with a fluid head and is not really an ideal video tripod - - - but that is what I have. Any of the movement on the tripod based shots, was accomplished in editing.

I was really nervy and maybe a little crazy when it came to my desire to capture some footage while driving. I decided to spread my tripod legs to be about the width of the top of my van and then placed the whole afair on the roof with one leg sitting in a groove for a smidgeon of security. The road is secluded and so I just kept my door open while driving and kept an eye up above and a had close to one of the tripod legs in case it came sliding off. I love the footage that I took shooting this way.

Ambient sounds of the leaves falling, are subtle throughout the music mix. I decided to play with a new Cinemaitic format of 2.4:1. A friend of mine has started using this wide format and I love the look. I will have to play with it in future projects to get the technique down pat - - - but even as it is, this video looks great displaying on my 46 inch wide screen TV.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1UCtlH-sBQ"]YouTube - The Feeling of Fall Colours[/ame]

-----

2. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

Gorgeous. Nice sense of movement in each shot.
    At 1.30 it looks like you're zooming in on the leaves a touch - are you just moving the cam closer?
    Love the wide format too.

3. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

Panning and zooming of the 3 first clips (up to 0:18), the leaves you mention, and panning down while the car is driving by, is done with my editing software Sony Vega Movie Studio 9. I don't yet have a fluid panning head for my tripod and so resorted to this method. That panning and zooming along with the wide format restrictions, required severe cropping of the video image - where only half of it is being used in many cases - - - and then stretched up get the 720p output.

4. tradback

tradback New to Mu-43

Nov 21, 2010
    Hi, I liked you video very much. I'm a new E-PL1 user (about 2 weeks ago) and I'm enjoying the camera every bit. I'm still waiting for the delivery of my Minolta MD adapter so I use our old 28mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.7 on the E-PL1 body.

5. tradback

tradback New to Mu-43

Nov 21, 2010
    This might be a stupid question but:

Does the autofocus work even with the adapter and manual focus lens? (I assume that it would since autofocus is on the body)

6. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    There is some misunderstanding.....
    All m4/3 bodies as the Sony's Nx have electrical contacts in the lens throut to 'speak' with it's lenses. These lenses get electrical signals to move the focus barrels inside the lens.
    So when you turn the focus ring from a current m4/3 AF lens, you 'focus just by wire' and not like MF lenses by rotating the barrel.
    All MF lenses must be focused by turning the mechanical ring and to be controlled on screen or, better, by the electronic viewfinder.

It might be that you mix up with the iBis-the image stabilizer which is in case of the Oly inside the body and not inside the lens as done with Pana.

Cheers
    Bernd