Feeling guilty about Olympus 12mm purchase

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by memzinla, Apr 12, 2013.

1. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    AH! I've been wanting the Olympus 12mm F2 for a very long long time. At first I only wanted the lens because the pictures taken with the lens looked very good. Then I bought the OM-D with the 12-50mm kit lens, and noticed that I mostly stayed at 12mm. IBIS really helps keep the ISO low, and there were times I wish I had a faster lens to use a somewhat faster shutter speed while still keeping ISO low.

I'm in a dilemma. The only way I can keep the Olympus 12mm is if I sell my current lenses. I have an Olympus 12-50mm, Olympus 40-150mm, and I'm currently waiting for the Panasonic 20mm. I feel like I have a nice set up right now, and one that I will find very useful when I travel to Mexico for two months this summer. If I sell my lenses I'd lose all the range, and the weather sealed kit lens. I might be able to keep the Oly 12mm and the Oly 40-150mm since it was cheap.

Would you suggest I sell my lenses to keep the 12mm? Would you stay with the current setup? I know this is subjective, and everyone has a different opinion.

I can't wait to try out the Oly 12mm! :D Most of my favorite pictures on Flickr were taken with the Oly 12mm. haha

2. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    I have never used the 12-50mm or the 12mm, but I'm sure the 12mm + 20mm+40-150mm will pretty much have you covered. I like primes so I would sell the 12-50mm.

3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Sell the 12-50mm. If you can swing keeping the 40-150mm, then you'll have the last 10mm of the 12-50mm covered at a larger aperture, too. The gap between 12mm and 40mm is large, but not so horrible that you won't be able to manage. Then take your time and save for the 20mm. If were you were to set aside $10 a week, you'd have enough for a used copy of the 20mm in less than 6 months.

4. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I'd return the 12mm and wait until you can really afford it before buying again. The gap between 12mm and 40mm is just too large IMO. You can use the OM-D at quite high ISO (6400 is perfectly feasible) so long as you doin't under-expose.

5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I would keep the weather sealed kit lens, but I rarely use long telephoto. I bought my 45-200 only because I got it for $99... I rarely use it.

Of course, Mexico is such a mess these days (at least along the Texas border), I'd probably keep the lenses and stay north.

6. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    If you're saying sell ALL lenses and just have the OM-D with the 12mm lens, that doesn't sound very practical no matter how much you love the 12mm. I'd stick with the 12-50 and bump ISO until you've saved enough money to afford the 12mm (at that point, sell the 12-50 if you like).

7. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you for the quick replies guys. :D I really appreciate it. I'm unsure about the kit lens because it's so versatile. It has a good range, has semi macro, and is weather sealed. The weather sealed lens will come in handy as the part of Mexico I'm going to has rainy summers. The Panasonic 20mm was pretty cheap. I might be able to keep it with the Olympus 12mm.

I guess I can afford to keep them all, but I'd rather not keep them all right now because I'd prefer to have the extra money to spend on my trip this summer.

It's also rare for me to use a telephoto lens. I also bought it because it was cheap. I would like to use it at the zoo just once though. haha

I think I'll keep the lenses while I test the Olympus 12mm, and see if I should keep it.

8. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Why not keep the 12 and/ or 20?
    I've always tried to keep my gear as simple as possible for travelling. I wanna experience new cities/countries/cultures, and not look for shots everywhere. IMO being somewhere to take pictures really takes away from the experience that travelling is/ should be.
    If I want a long shot from some well known place (and pretty much any place on our earth is developed for tourists by now), I usually buy postcards, because they are infinitely better than I can ever come up with, given I don't have time to wait for the right light, less people, or can't reach that elevated place needed to get the shot - or simply because I couldn't be bothered less to actually get that shot but rather sit in a nice place with locals, have coffee and enjoy experiencing life in some place other than home.
    For the unconventional, non-touristy stuff I usually want pictures of, be that snaps from friends, candid streets, and what have you, any prime will do, to be honest.

9. migs

migs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    RVA
    eat ramen.

10. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    The 14mm F/2.5 panasonic is a surprisingly good, tiny, cheap lens.

If you want a little more speed than then 3.5 (and much better optical quality than the 12-50 at the wide end), and are on a budget, it might be a good interim solution, even if it isn't quite as wide or fast.

(And for the price of the 12mm, I'd be looking at saving a little more for the Panasonic 12-35 someday.)

11. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The 12-50 zoom you already is very versatile and can cover the same focal length. As you mention it also gives you a weather-sealed and a macro option, so it earns its keep.

The P20's pancake form factor provides a very compact form factor and also gives you a low-light option.

The 40-150 gives you coverage on the long end.

Given all this, all the 12mm really adds is a wider low-light option. As others have noted, the OM-D high-ISO performance is good enough that you can get away with pushing it a bit. Since the 12mm is also the most valuable of all the lenses you have, I would sell it until your financial situation allows you to own it with a clear conscience.

There is no sense in having guilt associated with camera gear.

12. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    Chicago
    Id keep the 12 and the 40-150. Id sell the 12-50.

Or you could sell the 12mm and the 12-50mm and get a 14mm and the 25mm then you would be set with the 40-150mm as well. That would be a stellar kit for Mexico.

13. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ah! That's true, and that's how I feel too. I don't take any good pictures and just like to take candid pictures, snaps from friends and family. I love those type of pictures to remind me of the time I spent. From time to time I like to look at my pictures, and it's when I see one of those pictures I remember the fun/happy/sad moment that was captured at that moment.

Mmm! That's good advise to save money. haha :D

I have also thought about that lens. From the pictures I've seen it looks really good. :D

I think I will end up selling the lens. I really would like to try it for a week though. Hopefully it arrives in time to try it at a concert I'll be going to next week.

That actually sounds very good. I'll have to consider it. :D Thank you!

14. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Sell the 12mm and the 12-50 and get the P12-35, you will have good of all world, fast wide to mid, weather sealing and sharp high quality walk around zoom.

15. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd still need more money to buy that lens. :(

16. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Do the math the O12+(O12-50)+P20 > (P12-35).
    In eBay O12 = 755, O12-50 = 270, P20 = 200

The P12-35 is selling for 1000.

17. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've already tried to sell the Olympus 12-50mm here, and it doesn't sell near 270. There is one at 220 right now, and it hasn't sold. The Olympus 12mm sells for around 620 used. The Panasonic 20mm sells around 270. I guess if I sell them I would be able to afford it. haha. If I were to stay with the lenses though then I'd rather stay with lenses I've purchased until now.

18. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Like others suggest, I'd consider getting the 12-35 from Panny. Your love for 12mm would be satisfied and you'd get the boost in aperture over the kit lens that is probably enough speed jump for you along with the higher ISOs.

If size was an issue, then I'd have suggested keeping the 12mm f2. But as that's not in consideration, I'd sell your trio and get the Panny. Especially as you're going in rainy season.

Don't put yourself under too much pressure, I have a tendency of doing that and just have with the same lens, as well as the 25 Panny. I can afford it in the long run without issue, but it's a habit I'm going to break starting in 2014. You'd be sorted with the Pany 12-35! Great lens for that trip!

19. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I love the 12 but use it less than other lenses. I would suggest keeping your core group of lenses, they will serve you well, and adding back the 12 when you can afford to do so.

20. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'd think the Panny 12-35 would be the ideal, only have one lens travel option. Not as fast as others, but the OMD does pretty well at high ISO.