1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Feedback WelcomedL New E-P3 User

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sam_colbear, Jun 15, 2013.

1. sam_colbear

sam_colbear Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2013
    Hi guys and girls,

Im looking for some feedback on my photography so far. I am new to the photography scene using a real camera as most of the time before buying my Olympus E-P3 i used my phone.

Here is the link to my Flickr pictures. Any feedback is welcome as long as its constructive ;-)

Flickr: sam_colbear's Photostream

Look forward to hearing the feedback

thank

Sam

2. DanSullivan

DanSullivan Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Colorado
    Dan Sullivan
    Thanks for putting yourself out there!

Mushrooms is the best one IMO. Nice composition and crisp; too bad about the smudge in the middle.
    Statue second best - this subject might be better with less-soft lighting. Also the debris is distracting.

3. sam_colbear

Apr 8, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback Dan. I agree I like the mushroom shot too. Theres a bit of a mix.

4. sam_colbear

Apr 8, 2013
    Ive added a couple more pictures to the album.

5. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I like the pictures with the boats (they are nicely composed and have interesting lighting), but they could do with some post-processing to lighten the shadows. Do you use take photographs in raw mode and post-process them?

6. sam_colbear

Apr 8, 2013
    There shot in the highest JPEG setting. I have been thinking about taking them in RAW. Would you process them in Photoshop or Lightroom?

7. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Photoshop is not a raw processing application - if you do decide to use raw mode (as I recommend), you will need to use Lightroom (or another raw processor) to process them.

For your existing photographs, you could use either Photoshop or Lightroom, although it is probably easier still to use Lightroom - although you will have far less latitude in processing them from jpegs than had you taken them in raw format.

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

These are very good beginner shots. I won't restate what others have already said about the pics but I do agree with them.

For the low light shots I would recommend you try bracketing. This will give you the shot as the camera exposes it as well as over and under exposed shots. You can also try using the exposure lock. Aim at a darker place{with little or no sky in the frame} and then push the AE lock button. Then recompose and take the shot. For your shots it would over expose the sky a bit but it will also bring out the details in the foreground{which is your subject and very important}.

On the bench shot you cropped off part of the bench. It is better to allow a little extra in the shot and then crop in post.

It is good that you are experimenting and going out and shooting - that is how you get better.

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

WHAT? Photoshop will process RAW or at least the subprogram "Camera RAW" will. It is included with Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. It is somewhat similar to Lightroom although not as easy to use.

I do recommend however that somebody use Lightroom instead of Photoshop unless they need the features that Photoshop offers{selection and layers primarily}.

10. sam_colbear

Apr 8, 2013
    Thanks speedsndstyle. I have literally been using the e-p3 for a month so very new to it all! I'm going to do some research on bracketing and look how or where the AE lock button is and works.

I will also take on board what has been said about cropping the shot I suppose you can always crop it later on in lightroom.

Thanks again and keep the constructive feedback
    coming!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta