1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Feedback wanted on new mobile style

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, May 29, 2014.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've created a mobile version of this site to make using the forum easier for those on a phone without having to use the forum app or Tapatalk. For those of you who visit the site from a phone, please check it out (should be the new default forum style for those visiting from a phone) and give me your feedback.

It's very rough around the edges right now - on my todo list are tweaking the looks, colors, size of the reply box, adding a thanks button, and making Buy/Sell fully functional, but I thought that even in its current form it is more usable than the "full" version of the site when it comes to working on a small phone screen.

2. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Posting from the mobile site on my Android. Everything seems to be working just fine. Nice and quick loading as a mobile site should be, and you're right Amin, a lot more usable than the full site.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Sorry Amin - I always prefer the full size versions on any forum I visit via my iPhone. So I panicked for a few second just now when I came on here.

4. Cani

Cani New to Mu-43

Jan 1, 2014
    Looks very good. I would love a dark theme.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I think it works just fine! Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Looks ok to me, trying it out now.

edit: it works fine from my mobile.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There will always be a link at the bottom for the desktop version :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I don't think we can offer more than one mobile theme, but my plan is to make it gray (neither light nor dark) as a compromise...

9. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    A few observations:

- The fonts of the posts are large compared to the header (and the font size of the Reply button are larger than the body text) - just a little imbalanced for my eye.
    - On my iPhone 5, I always have to zoom out everytime I load a new page

• Like Like x 1
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)

Hi Herbert - the "front page" format is all messed up, but in the thread view in the forums I don't have to zoom out at all on my wife's iPhone 5. Is it the same for you or is the thread view also messed up when you click on New Posts and then select a thread?

11. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I just tried again and my initial observation is that if the page is all-text I dont have to zoom out (but the fonts on the first page are huge; once you go to page 2 fonts are back to normal). But try one of the native lens sample image threads. I get this (screenshot):

5y5ygyna.

Edit: My initial observations doesn't bear out. I've loaded some threads with images (like the "Is my 12-40 soft?" thread) and it zooms out by itself, although with about a second delay. Same for the Holga sample image thread. But the Oly body cap lens thread (my screen shot) still doesn't zoom out.

Sent from my iPhone

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  13. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    Looks pretty awesome but how can I check my notifications & inbox now?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Inbox is accessed via the "User CP" link in the Navbar

15. franklyadam

franklyadam Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2014
    Looks ok, I prefer the full site myself but I'm a creature of habit too :) so far the biggest thing I'm missing is the mark forum as read buttons

16. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I tried it briefly and went back to desktop mode, but I guess that's what I do on most sites. I just don't like losing functionality (especially things like marking the forum as read).

17. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    - I'd like a profile option to suppress buy/sell threads in the New Posts views
    - I miss the "first unread" button once in a thread

18. The mobile version of the site is a bit too GM1 for me so I've switched back to the full E-M1 spec version.

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You can mark forums read at the bottom of the page.

20. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    You can? I'm not seeing it. At the bottom of the page I have the page navigation, an 'Up' button and below that the copyright info and a 'Full site' link.