1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Feedback wanted: Baltimore inner harbor

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Promit, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I am actually going to do this one photo at a time, because I'm looking for feedback on each specific photo and the edits I've made to them. Detailed comments are greatly appreciated. I still regard myself as just barely out of the 'snap shooter' realm and am trying to improve on every front: composition, framing, editing, all of it.

The images you see here are all after post processing. I will link to the original photo out-of-camera. The goal is to avoid being too obsessed about the side-by-side of each shot.
    P8071481-edit.JPG
    OOC photo

Thanks for looking, and I am really curious to hear what people think!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello Promit,

Remember. These are opinions, everybody has one, mine is offered most humbly, and at your request.

Composition wise:

The center of the image is very pronounced with the sign lit up so. It dominates.

That said, I'm sure it's what captured your interest to begin with. Let the viewer find your point of interest, lead them to it with flow, and composition.

The open right side draws me to an undefined space which lacks interest.

I'm old school, but I do try to observe the rule of thirds, (which should be broken when required by circumstance)

Processing:

Other than the sign, the image is rather murky. If it's a "golden hour image" it requires perhaps some compensation during exposure to bring the building to life for the viewer. Us.

Be careful with the lines, the building tilts or sags to port. Unless I've misunderstood and it was little bit of a Gary Winograd effort.

My 2 cents, and probably worth every penny.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I exactly x2 everything alan said

My recommendation would be to crop in on the sign. Not enough to totally eliminate the building, but enough to get rid of the gap on the right and minimize the rather featureless sky... I think this would also address the "tilt" issue, because the sign looks straight - it's the building that's off...or perhaps re-take the image from a better angle when the sky is more helpful and interesting

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm very, very center oriented. The vast majority of my shots place the subject right in the middle of the frame. I'm familiar with rule of thirds but have difficulty applying it 'in the field'. This is probably my biggest challenge right now when it comes to composition, and reflects the fact that I'm an engineer and extremely not an artist.

I see the point regarding the right side of the image, though I'm not sure what to do about it. I'll have to play with cropping options.
    The processing deliberately drains the building of life, and smudges a lot of the detail as well. I thought it would be interesting to have a brightly colored neon sign against a background of drabness. I'm not sure it's worked.
    That one was just sloppiness on my part, probably tipped the camera hitting the shutter.

I do appreciate the feedback and don't want people to feel bad about negativity. The goal is improvement, not ego. I have a similar shot that suffers from similar problems. Let's move on to another, totally different one instead.
    P8071485-edit.JPG
    OOC photo
    Centered subject again, of course.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hathi

hathi Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Philadelphia PA USA
    I'm also a beginner and have a technical background. I've had the same things on my mind with regard to images of my own. I keep asking myself when I am composing, what is the intended message of this image? I'm sure that is a lifelong question. :smile:

The Domino Sugar plant : I echo the sentiments of the previous commenters. It's a good idea for the subject. It always catches my eye when I'm in Baltimore.

The car : Awesome car. Nice lines and clearly a lot of design and manufacturing skill has gone into its construction. I can see an image where it pops out from a dull or recessed background. My critique of this image is that the background isn't dull. The boats, trees and kids walking around all distract from the subject. Maybe they can be darkened even more or cropped out. Did you take any shots with the car filling more of the frame?

6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I didn't get too cozy with the Lotus. There's an Audi R8 shot later in the set that might hit the mark. Ideally I would've taken that same exact shot of the Lotus with a lens at least two stops faster. It's taken with the 45-200 at the wide end with an aperture of 4.0, so there's no useful subject isolation. I do have a pre-order on the 45/1.8...

That said there are a few alternate framings. This version and from the back. I don't find either alternate to be particularly compelling, which left me to mostly work with color.

7. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    The biggest problem with the Dominoes Sugar sign is you don't have the light. The building is just flat. Keep working on it.

Who are the two tiny people sitting in the back of the Lotus? Barbie and Ken? The background is just too distracting. Getting closer with a wider lens would have given you more options.

8. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Promit,

Did you take in Hikari's meaning. If the Lotus is a "beauty shot" it has some issues.

There are indeed two tiny heads sprouting, and a tree growing form the trunk as well.

Sometimes one sees the subject, and nothing else in the finder. But, once it's pointed out, I'm sure you see the heads, and the tree and the busyness.

Eventually you'll see it "before" you press the shutter....

Keep shooting.....

9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I feel like a fast lens would've solved the Lotus' busy problem, but I had to work with what I got. Could've probably waited for the people to move though. So much more to think about than fitting things into a straight frame.

How about this one? No edited version.
    P8071528.JPG

10. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Best one so far. Pretty nice composition, interesting perspective.

Lamp lower left needs to be cloned away... as well as the "hot spot" top left of the building. Much much better composition.

A faster lens would not have removed the heads or the tree.. That's got to be all you "seeing" the image as you make the image.

Cheers, Alan

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I agree with Alan's comments. I would add on the Lotus too much above the car. The Lotus is the center of interest that air above the car doesn't add anything to the image.

The last shot has about a 50% sky to non-sky (building) ratio. With 50:50 the mind plays funny little games asking itself "what's this photo all about? Is it the sky that's half or the image ... is it the building, that's half of the image ..." ad infinitum. My little cream-cheese brain gets frustrated wondering what you are communicating. So, either add more sky or crop the sky. Whatever element you desire to feature, separate that feature from the rest of the image and bump up the contrast a touch to give that element a bit more punch so it will stand out even more.

Gary

PS- Listen to Hikari, he's always right. Right as rain.
    G

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Less sky, more building, more contrast... Trump Towers

Trump_Tower.